Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 43
Collection number: ahc.MSS868f
Scope and Content This collection contains a contract between the All Saints Episcopal Church and Morgan & Dillon for the construction of a Sunday school building. The contract includes specifications for the brick work, electric work, iron and brass work, steam heating, as well as painting of the building. Also included is a letter that adds information originally omitted from the plumbing specifications.
Collection number: ahc.MSS692f
Scope and Content This collection contains personal papers and memorabilia of the Slider family. The bulk of the collection pertains to activities at the Baptist Tabernacle Church and includes weekly church bulletins, flyers, and church programs. In addition, there are newspaper clippings about members of the Slider family. The collection also contains certificates of appreciation and completion for Annie B. Slider and her daughter, Annie Mae. There is one black and white photograph of Elma Virginia Slider...
Collection number: ahc.VIS93
Scope and Contents This collection contains postcards that depict scenes in Atlanta and the state of Georgia. Most of the images are of man-made structures in Atlanta including Agnes Scott College, Atlanta Municipal Airport (now Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport), Biltmore Hotel, Booker T. Washington High School, Bulloch Hall, Candler Building, Capitol City Club, City Hall, Clark College (now Clark Atlanta University), Atlanta Cyclorama at Grant Park, English-American (Flatiron) Building, Fort McPherson,...
Collection number: ahc.VIS383
Scope and Content This collection contains images of buildings and districts evaluated or nominated by the Urban Design Commission to receive Historic status. Notable sites include Atlanta City Hall, Carnegie Library, Citizens & Southern National Bank, the English-American Building, the Hurt Building, Martin Luther King Jr.'s birth home, Morris Brown College, Rockefeller Hall at Spelman College, Sacred Heart Church, and Underground Atlanta. Additional photographs include views of buildings along Alabama,...
Collection number: ahc.VIS134
Scope and Contents of the Records This collection contains photographs of banks, businesses, theaters, clubs, hotels, and grocery stores in downtown Atlanta, including two structures, the Atlanta Theater and the Equitable Building that were built by engineer and developer Joel Hurt. The collection also contains photographs of the Candler Building, the Century Building, the Empire Building, the English-American Building, and the Piedmont Hotel. Among the images are photographs taken by Tracy Mathewson, Edwards and Sons, and...
Collection number: ahc.VIS360
Scope and Content This collection documents the political life of Charles Longstreet Weltner and the built landscape of Atlanta, Georgia, in the 1950s and 1960s. Film footage highlights a variety of Weltner's campaign activities including him walking on the sidewalk through a blighted Atlanta neighborhood; Weltner looking over the city of Atlanta from the top of the Merchandise Mart; and scenes most likely used for campaign ads. Included are street scenes of downtown Atlanta, with views of public and private...
Collection number: ahc.VIS186
Scope and Content This collection contains images that document the metropolitan Atlanta region and photographs illustrating social events in the city. Bell and Stanton Public Relations used these photographs documenting the Atlanta area as promotional images. Most of the images were taken in the late 1960s and include the Atlanta Civic Center, Atlanta Memorial Arts Center, First Federal Savings and Loan building, Hartford Insurance building, Peachtree Center, and the Trust Company of Georgia. The collection...
Collection number: ahc.VIS338
Scope and Content This collection contains images taken of the Tullie Smith House in its original location at 2890 North Druid Hills Road in Atlanta, DeKalb County, Georgia.
Collection number: ahc.MSS201f
Scope and Content This collection contains one bound volume. Inside are two letters to Miss Ruth Blair, the Executive Secretary of the Atlanta Historical Society, dated March 11, 1938 and March 18, 1938, both from Fitzhugh Knox, Sr. Also included is a short manuscript titled “My Reminiscences From 1883”. The first part of the manuscript is a memoir which mentions many prominent citizens, such as Joel Chandler Harris, Carroll Payne, and Henry W. Grady; businesses, like the Merchants Bank of Atlanta, J. Regenstein...
Collection number: ahc.VIS389
Scope and Contents This collection contains photographs of Focal Point Inc.'s awards and recognitions, the staff and workshop, and the moldings they designed and manufactured. Examples of moldings and decorative medallions are shown after they were manufactured in the Focal Point workshop, or installed in residences and historic properties. Of special note are images of Focal Point co-founders, Florence Inman and Jerry Garrison, as well as custom-made designs for Atlanta's Fox Theatre, historic properties at...
Collection number: ahc.VIS377
Scope and Content This collection contains promotional photographs of automobiles produced by the General Motors Corporation between 1910 and 1960, including various models of Chevrolets, Oldsmobiles, and Pontiacs. Also featured is a photograph of a Chevrolet assembly plant in Atlanta, Georgia, and employees working on automobile bodies at the Fisher Body Division in Detroit, Michigan.
Collection number: ahc.VIS353
Scope and Content This collection contains photographs of scenes in Atlanta, Georgia, taken by Harriette Speer Parker and her father, Eustace Asbury Speer. Of special note are photographs of the Great Fire of Atlanta in 1917, the Festival of Old Atlanta in the late 1960s, and negatives of aerial photographs of downtown Atlanta. The photographs taken by Eustace Asbury Speer include images of the State Revenue Department personnel in 1927, Piedmont Park, and the Atlanta skyline. Also featured are family...
Collection number: ahc.MSS904
Scope and Content This collection documents the Haverty family, Haverty's Furniture Company, and associated professional organizations. The papers consist of business correspondence, family letters, financial records, newspaper clippings, scrapbooks, speeches, travel journals, and writings. Included in the collection are speeches from Haverty's and American Retail Federation meetings and conventions, as well as first person narratives from Rawson Haverty Sr. highlighting his travels to Europe and family...
Collection number: ahc.VIS367
Scope and Content This collection contains photographs, negatives, and maps that document the Haverty family, Haverty's Furniture Company, and associated professional organizations. Included in the collection are images of J. J. Haverty, Clarence Haverty, and Rawson Haverty Sr.'s children, as well as the weddings of Clare Haverty to Frank Ridley Jr., Betty Haverty to Alex Smith, and Rawson Haverty to Margaret Munnerlyn. Photographs feature J. J. Haverty's home Villa Clare, along with Clarence and Elizabeth...
Collection number: ahc.VIS308
Scope and Content This collection contains black-and-white photographs accumulated by Henry Burr Green in the process of conducting real estate business for Cheves-Green Enterprises, the mortgage loan, real estate, property management, and insurance company of which he was President. Most photos were taken by commercial photographer Walter M. Wright, and depict residential homes and office buildings in Atlanta, College Park, Decatur, East Point, and Marietta. Highlights include the Healey Building, Henry Grady...
Collection number: ahc.VIS130
Scope and Contents of the Records Included in this collection are slides and photographs of geographic locations, events, and transportation in Atlanta and the state of Georgia. The collection contains images of downtown Atlanta, including aerial views, government buildings, private residences, parks, street scenes, railroads, as well as photographs depicting poverty and sub-standard housing. The photographs of Herbert H. Lee are an excellent resource for those interested in the subject of urban renewal, and the post-World War...
Collection number: ahc.VIS109
Scope and Contents of the Records This collection is comprised of images of the construction of a section of highway that merges Interstate 75 and Interstate 85, known as the downtown connector. Included are aerial photographs of downtown Atlanta, and images taken on the ground depicting the path of the interstate.
Collection number: ahc.VIS161
Scope and Contents of the Records This collection contains photographs of the exterior of the Catholic Shrine of the Immaculate Conception taken one week after a fire which nearly destroyed the church.
Collection number: ahc.MSS413f
Scope and Content This research paper is entitled "First Methodist Church" and was written by Kathryn T. Clark, a student at Georgia State University. The church building was designed by Willis Franklin Denny II. The paper describes the architecture of the church and some of its history.
Collection number: ahc.VIS265
Scope and Content This collection is comprised of images of the historic Midtown area in Atlanta, Georgia. The photographs were taken for draft nomination on the National Register of Historic Places for Midtown. Included are photos of churches, Henry Grady High School, stores and businesses, street scapes, apartments, and homes in the Midtown area. Types of homes photographed vary among bungalows, duplexes, row houses, carriage houses, alley dwellings, and cottages. Of special interest are photographs of the...
- Subject: Buildings -- Georgia -- Atlanta X
- Atlanta Historical Society 4
- English-American Building (Atlanta, Ga.) 4
- Hentz, Hal, 1883-1972 4
- Hurt Building (Atlanta, Ga.) 4
- Rich's (Retail store) 4
- Atlanta Cyclorama (Atlanta, Ga.) 3
- Atlanta Municipal Airport (Atlanta, Ga.) 3
- Atlanta Municipal Auditorium (Atlanta, Ga.) 3
- Carter, Jimmy, 1924- 3
- Georgia Institute of Technology 3
- Georgia State Capitol (Atlanta, Ga.) 3
- Henry Grady Hotel (Atlanta, Ga.) 3
- Reid, J. Neel (Joseph Neel), 1885-1926 3
- Southern Bell Telephone and Telegraph Company 3
- Trust Company of Georgia 3
- Aaron, Hank, 1934- 2
- Adler, Rudolph Satorius 2
- Allen, Ivan, 1911-2003 2
- American Institute of Architects 2
- Atlanta Braves (Baseball team) 2
- Atlanta City Hall (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Atlanta Civic Center (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Baptist Tabernacle Church (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- C.W. Motes (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Capital City Club (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Cathedral of Christ the King (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Century Building (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Democratic Party (Ga.) 2
- Emory University 2
- First National Bank of Atlanta 2
- General Motors Corporation. Chevrolet Motor Division (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Grady Memorial Hospital (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Haverty Furniture Companies 2
- Haverty family 2
- Haverty's Furniture Company 2
- Haverty, Clarence (James Clarence) 2
- Haverty, Elizabeth Rawson 2
- Haverty, J. J. (James Joseph) 2
- Haverty, Rawson (James Rawson), 1920-2007 2
- Hentz and Reid (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Hentz, Adler, and Shutze (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Hentz, Reid, and Adler (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Humphrey, Hubert H. (Hubert Horatio) 2
- Kurtz, Wilbur G. (Wilbur George), 1882-1967 2
- Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority 2
- Middleton family 2
- Munnerlyn family 2
- National Retail Furniture Association (U.S.) 2
- Norrman, Gottfried Leonard, -1909 2
- Peachtree Center (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Piedmont Hotel (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Rawson family 2
- Rhodes-Haverty Furniture Company (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano), 1882-1945 2
- Saint Joseph's Hospital (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Saint Joseph's Infirmary (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Shutze and Armistead (Atlanta, Ga.). 2
- Shutze, Philip Trammell 2
- Temple (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Underground Atlanta, Inc. 2
- United States Penitentiary, Atlanta, Georgia 2
- Veterans Administration Hospital (Decatur, Ga.) 2
- 688 Club (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Aaron, Betty 1
- Abbey, Jessie Harris 1
- Abbey, Lucile 1
- Abbey, Theo 1
- Agnes Scott College 1
- Aldridge, Mamie 1
- All Saints Episcopal Church (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Allen family 1
- Allen, Frederick, 1948- 1
- Allen, Ivan, 1877-1968 1
- Allen, Ivan, III, 1938-1992 1
- Allen, Louise Richardson, 1917-2008 1
- Alliance Theater (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Amara, Lucine, 1924- 1
- Andrews, Lina 1
- Andrews, Lisa 1
- Anglin and Randall Photographers (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Archambault, Charlie 1
- Arnall, Ellis Gibbs, 1907-1992 1
- Arnett, Bill 1
- Arrington, Marvin S. 1
- Art Institute of Atlanta 1
- Atlanta (Ga.). Board of Aldermen 1
- Atlanta (Ga.). Department of Parks, Recreation & Cultural Affairs 1
- Atlanta (Ga.). Fire Department 1
- Atlanta Art Association 1
- Atlanta Bach Choir 1
- Atlanta Chamber Players 1
- Atlanta Chamber of Commerce 1
- Atlanta Chess Club (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Atlanta Constitution Building (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Atlanta Convention and Visitors Bureau 1
- Atlanta Cyclorama & Civil War Museum. 1
- Atlanta Falcons. (Football team) 1
- Atlanta Home Insurance Company (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Atlanta International Raceway (Hampton, Ga.) 1 ∧ less