Skip to main content

General Motors Corporation photographs

 Collection
Identifier: ahc.VIS377

Scope and Content

This collection contains promotional photographs of automobiles produced by the General Motors Corporation between 1910 and 1960, including various models of Chevrolets, Oldsmobiles, and Pontiacs. Also featured is a photograph of a Chevrolet assembly plant in Atlanta, Georgia, and employees working on automobile bodies at the Fisher Body Division in Detroit, Michigan.

Dates

  • approximately 1910-1954, undated

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.

Administrative/Biographical History

The General Motors Corporation is an automobile manufacturer based in Detroit, Michigan. It was cofounded in 1908 by William C. Durant (1861-1947) and Frederic L. Smith (1870-1954). General Motors operated two plants in Atlanta: Lakewood Assembly from 1927 to 1990 and Doraville Assembly from 1945 to 2008. Most of Doraville Assembly was demolished in 2014, with the exception of the plant's training facilty. This facility was converted into a film production company, Third Rail Studios, in 2016.

Extent

14 image(s) (14 black and white photographs)

Language

English

System of Arrangement

This collection is arranged alphabetically according to titles supplied by staff.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift, 1954

General

This collection was previously catalogued as GMC.

Description Control

This collection was reprocessed in 2020.
Title
General Motors Corporation photographs
Author
Kate Daly
Date
February 2020
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040