Herbert H. Lee Photographs
Scope and Contents of the Records
Included in this collection are slides and photographs of geographic locations, events, and transportation in Atlanta and the state of Georgia. The collection contains images of downtown Atlanta, including aerial views, government buildings, private residences, parks, street scenes, railroads, as well as photographs depicting poverty and sub-standard housing. The photographs of Herbert H. Lee are an excellent resource for those interested in the subject of urban renewal, and the post-World War II physical development of Atlanta’s central neighborhoods. The collection also includes images of the arrival of the Ringling Brothers, Barnum and Bailey Circus to Atlanta, and parades, including one for confederate veterans, and one honoring the military during World War II. The collection contains images depicting railways and train depots in and around Atlanta.
- 1919- 1968, undated
- Lee, Herbert H. (Person)
Restrictions on Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
No biographical information is available for Herbert Lee.
Arrangement of the Papers
This collection is divided into three series. (1) Geographic Locations, (2) Events in Atlanta, (3) Transportation. The images are arranged alphabetically within each series according to titles supplied by staff.
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Many of the images in this collection are located in cold storage (cs) as indicated in the descriptive inventory. Patrons must allow 24 hours after retrieval of cold storage item(s) before viewing material.
Gift of Herbert H. Lee, 1976 (1976.297), 1978 (1978.536).
General Physical Description note
386 color slides and black and white prints (1 document case and 1 cold storage box)
Collection processed in 2006.
- Atlanta (Ga.)
- Atlanta Civic Center (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Atlanta Constitution Building (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Automobiles -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Circus -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Dwellings -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Fire stations -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Highland Avenue Showgrounds (Atlanta, Ga.)
- L and R Drug Co. (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Lakewood Park (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Low-income housing -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Office buildings -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Peachtree Center (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Peachtree Street (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Railroads -- Georgia
- Urban parks -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Urban renewal -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Herbert H. Lee Photographs, 1919- 1968, undatedahc.VIS 130
- Inventory prepared by Paul Crater
- July 2009
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note