Showing Collections: 1 - 19 of 19
Scope and Content This collection contains typewritten and handwritten records of nurseries and plants that provide an inventory of Brown's garden on Knollwood Drive in Atlanta in the 1970s. Sizes, quantities, varieties, and prices paid are included in the lists. Awards and a brochure on azaleas and rhododendrons highlight Brown's interest in these plants.
Dates: 1971-1975, undated
Scope and Content This collection contains postcards from the Southeastern United States with the majority from Georgia. Images include gardens, landscapes, residences, street scenes, parks, cemeteries, and government buildings. Postcards represent a range of styles and formats with most being in color. Of special interest are gardens, landscapes, and street scenes that document plant materials from the early 20th century.
Dates: approximately 1893-approximately 1990s, undated
Scope and Content This collection contains both residential and commercial landscape drawings for clients throughout the southeast United States. Also included are a few projects for international clients. The majority of projects are residential clients.
Dates: 1982-2008, undated
Scope and Contents of the Records The bulk of this artificial collection consists of weekly articles Henderson wrote for the Atlanta Journal/Constitution that provided practical design advice to readers. The collection contains articles from 1942, 1943, and 1950-1977. The collection includes some original manuscripts. More frequently, however, the articles included here are copies of the published version from the Atlanta Journal/Constitution. Occasionally,...
Dates: 1923-2005, undated
Scope and Content This collection contains Henderson's landscape drawings for a residential property in Atlanta; an original rendering of the Clark Howell Homes, as part of the Housing Authority project in which Henderson took part; and over 200 of Henderson's slides on various gardening topics. Also a part of the collection are Henderson's pencil sketches of gardens, garden structures and statuary, as well as trees and landscapes.
Dates: 1933-1992, undated
Scope and Content This collection contains drawings of projects including private gardens, corporate clients, schools, cultural institutions, large developments, parks, and cemeteries. Notable projects are the Atlanta Historical Society (Atlanta History Center), Atlanta Botanical Garden, Coca-Cola Headquarters Complex, Piedmont Hospital, Agnes Scott College, Emory University, Georgia Institute of Technology, and a large cross section of private residences in the Buckhead neighborhood of Atlanta. Also a part of...
Dates: 1928-2013, undated
Scope and Content This collection contains descriptive landscape surveys and accompanying research material such as correspondence, articles, maps, and garden sketches which document the history and current condition of historic landscapes included in the project. Many garden surveys are associated with a significant individual or house and provide social and cultural history as well as landscape history. Material varies according to the availability of information about each site.
Dates: 2002-current, undated
Scope and Content This collection contains landscape drawings of mostly residential projects, but also includes some commercial properties and parks in Griffin and other Georgia cities. Drawings include general landscape plans and plant lists as well as plans for walls, foundation plantings, and traffic islands. Of special interest is Bell's 1940 senior thesis drawing of a country estate for his parents.
Dates: 1940-1994, undated
Scope and Content This collection contains slides, photographs, and negatives taken or collected by Cothran depicting topics such as botanists, naturalists, landscape designers and architects; horticultural, gardening and landscape topics; and historic gardens of the Southeast, other regions of the United States, and Europe. Material also includes images used in Cothran's lectures and books he authored. The majority of the collection consists of images taken by Cothran on his travels or collected during...
Dates: 1932-2011, undated
Scope and Contents This collection contains stereographs depicting an Augusta residence, including views of the front yard and garden; landscaped walkway to the street lined with seashells; and fence and gate. One stereograph provides details of the backyard, alleyway, outbuildings, coldframe, arbor, garden beds, and two men, one noted as "George" standing next to a caged bird. All stereographs are labeled "Usher's Stereo Views" and include on the reverse side "Mary A. Jones" crossed out with "Libbie Jones" along...
Dates: approximately 1875
Scope and Content The majority of this collection contains correspondence, estimates, ledgers, proposals, and planting studies that provide a history of Julia O. Martin's career as principal of Julia O. Martin Landscape Design. Martin's resume and clippings offer details of her personal and professional life. Of special note are Martin's garden design sketches included in various planting studies.
Dates: 1937-1997, undated
Scope and Content This collection contains landscape drawings that provide details of the garden and landscape history at the Violet Bank estate in Griffin, Georgia. A planting plan by the C. A. Dahl Company shows the layout of the property including the house, driveway, and formal garden. Of note, this drawing erroneously cites Mrs. H. W. Barnes as Mrs. H. 'G.' Barnes. Also a part of the collection are garden sketches by an unknown landscape architect which provide plant variety names and describe trees, wooded...
Scope and Content This collection contains landscape drawings of both William L. Monroe, Sr. and William L. Monroe, Jr., as part of the Monroe's Landscape and Nursery Company, and represent a wide variety of clients including residential, commercial, churches, and parks. Of special note is a landscape plan of Chastain Woods for Chastain Memorial Park.
Dates: 1934-1987, undated
Scope and Content This collection contains materials such as professional correspondence, accounting and financial records, and client plant lists, orders, and landscape drawings. Also included are correspondence and plant orders with numerous nurseries in the South. Additionally, personal letters, financial documents, and university correspondence are part of this collection. Of special note is correspondence with professor Ralph W. Curtis of Cornell University on his research on broad leafed evergreens with...
Dates: 1906-1968, undated
Scope and Content This collection contains photographs and postcards which provide details of the personal, military, and professional career of Norman Butts in New York, France, and Georgia. Included are images of his early family life, college years at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, and landscaping projects in Atlanta, Georgia. Both Butts' work with Ashford Park Nurseries in Brookhaven and his own Atlanta landscaping business are represented. Of special interest are photographs of the gardens and...
Dates: 1880-1946, undated
Scope and Contents This collection contains landscape drawings, plant lists, concept and site plans, and surveys that provide details of work done by Richard Anderson Landscape Architect Inc., as well as earlier work with Daugherty/Anderson and Associates. The work of a few other architects is included such as Edward L. Daugherty and E. S. Draper. The majority of projects are of residential landscapes.
Scope and Contents This collection includes material that documents the history and growth of the Southeastern Flower Show. A wide variety of flower show records are included such as invitations, programs, brochures, drawings and plans of exhibit spaces, correspondence and announcements, Atlanta Flower Show News, articles, award lists,Clippings newsletters, silent auction pamphlets, and raffle tickets. More recent years include post flower show...
Scope and Content This collection contains materials that document the history of the annual pilgrimages (and later other types of fundraisers such as lectures and tours) of the GCG since 1996. Brochures, flyers, maps, clippings, and correspondence are included in the collection. These items also provide histories of historic garden sites that are on the pilgrimages in Georgia and detail garden club activities relating to the pilgrimages, lectures, or tours. Financial and fundraising documentation are also a...
Scope and Content This collection contains grant applications, reports, and supporting evidence, which document organizations seeking funds to assist with restoration and preservation projects of historic landscapes and gardens. Project follow-up reports are included where available. Of special interest are applications for multiple restoration projects at Atlanta's Oakland Cemetery. Also part of the collection are program materials that provide details of the grant program committee including chairman's...
- Subject: Landscape gardening -- Georgia X
- Gardens -- Design 11
- Landscape architecture -- Georgia 9
- Landscape architects -- Georgia -- Atlanta. 8
- Landscape gardening -- Georgia 7
- Landscape gardening -- Georgia -- Atlanta 7
- Plants, Ornamental -- Georgia 5
- Gardens -- Conservation and restoration -- Georgia 4
- Gardens -- Georgia -- Atlanta 4
- Nurseries (Horticulture) -- Georgia 4
- Historic gardens -- Conservation and restoration -- Georgia 3
- Historic gardens -- Georgia 3
- Historic preservation -- Georgia 3
- Historic sites -- Conservation and restoration -- Georgia 3
- Landscape architecture -- Georgia -- Atlanta 3
- Landscape architecture -- Southern States 3
- Landscape design -- Georgia -- Atlanta 3
- Landscape gardening -- Georgia -- History 3
- Nursery growers -- Georgia 3
- Women landscape architects -- Georgia 3
- Gardening -- Georgia -- Atlanta 2
- Gardens -- Georgia 2
- Historic buildings -- Georgia 2
- Landscape architects -- Georgia 2
- Parks -- Georgia -- Atlanta 2
- Urban landscape architecture -- Georgia -- Atlanta. 2
- African American photographers -- Georgia -- Augusta 1
- Alleys -- Georgia -- Augusta 1
- Architecture, Domestic -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- Architecture, Domestic -- Georgia -- Augusta 1
- Architecture, Domestic -- Southern States 1
- Azaleas -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- Brookhaven (Ga.) 1
- Cage birds -- Georgia -- Augusta 1
- Camp Lee (Va.) 1
- Cemeteries -- Georgia 1
- Cities and towns -- Georgia 1
- City planning 1
- Flower shows -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- Flower shows -- Judging -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- Formal gardens -- Design 1
- Gardening -- Georgia -- Atlanta -- Societies, etc. 1
- Gardening -- Georgia -- Societies, etc. 1
- Gardening -- Societies, etc. 1
- Gardens -- Design -- History 1
- Gardens -- Georgia -- Augusta 1
- Gardens -- Southern States 1
- Gardens -- Southern States -- History 1
- Griffin (Ga.) 1
- Griffin (Ga.) -- History 1
- Historic gardens -- Conservation and restoration 1
- Historic gardens -- Southern States 1
- Historic sites -- Georgia 1
- Horticultural exhibitions -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- Ithaca (N.Y.) 1
- Land use -- Planning 1
- Landscape architects -- Georgia -- Griffin 1
- Landscape architecture -- Conservation and restoration 1
- Landscape architecture -- Designs and plans 1
- Landscape architecture -- Georgia -- Griffin 1
- Landscape architecture -- United States 1
- Landscape design -- Southern States 1
- Landscape gardening -- Georgia -- Augusta 1
- Landscape gardening -- Georgia -- Griffin 1
- Landscape gardening -- Southern States 1
- Landscapes -- Georgia 1
- Landscapes -- New York (State) 1
- Nurseries (Horticulture) -- Catalogs 1
- Nurseries (Horticulture) -- Southern States 1
- Plants, Ornamental -- Southern States -- History 1
- Postcards -- Southern States 1
- Poughkeepsie (N.Y.) 1
- Rhododendrons -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- Scrabble (Game) 1
- Stereographers -- Georgia -- Augusta 1
- Stereographs -- 1870-1880 1
- Streets -- Georgia 1
- Trees -- Georgia 1
- Urban beautification -- Georgia -- Griffin 1
- Urban gardens -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- Walkways -- Georgia -- Augusta -- 1870-1880 1
- Waterfalls -- New York (State) 1 ∧ less
- Daugherty, Edward L. 3
- Garden Club of Georgia. 3
- Ashford Park Nurseries (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Butts, Norman C. 2
- Clark Howell Homes (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Cothran, James R. 2
- Georgia. Historic Preservation Division 2
- Henderson, Edith, 1911- 2
- American Rhododendron Society. Azalea Chapter 1
- Anderson, Richard, 1947- 1
- Atlanta Botanical Garden 1
- Atlanta Historical Society 1
- Bell, J. Newton (Jewell Newton) 1
- Brown, Beryl Knight 1
- Butts family 1
- C. A. Dahl Co. (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Capital City Club (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Chastain Park (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Cherokee Garden Library (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Cooney, Loraine M. (Loraine Meeks) 1
- Dargan Landscape Architects, Inc. 1
- Dargan, Hugh Graham 1
- Dargan, Mary Palmer 1
- Daugherty/Anderson and Associates 1
- Historic American Landscapes Survey 1
- Historic Landscape Initiative (Project) 1
- Julia O. Martin Landscape Design 1
- Martin, Julia Orme 1
- Monroe's Landscape and Nursery Co. (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Monroe, William L., 1892-1965 1
- Monroe, William L., 1925-1999 1
- Norman C. Butts Nursery (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Pauley, William C. (William Crooks) 1
- Richard Anderson Landscape Architect Inc. 1
- Southeastern Flower Show 1
- Southeastern Horticultural Society 1
- United States. National Park Service. Southeast Regional Office 1
- Usher, John, 1831-1913 1
- Violet Bank (Griffin, Ga.) 1
- Williams, Robert E., 1834-1917 1 ∧ less