Georgia Historic Landscape Initiative records
Collection number: ahc.MSS1007
Scope and Content
This collection contains descriptive landscape surveys and accompanying research material such as correspondence, articles, maps, and garden sketches which document the history and current condition of historic landscapes included in the project. Many garden surveys are associated with a significant individual or house and provide social and cultural history as well as landscape history. Material varies according to the availability of information about each site.
- 2002-current, undated
- Cothran, James R. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
The Georgia Historic Landscape Initiative began in 2002 under the direction of landscape architect James Cothran, FASLA, as a collaboration between the Garden Club of Georgia, Inc.; the Cherokee Garden Library at the Atlanta History Center; the Georgia Department of Natural Resources - Historic Preservation Division; and the National Park Service Southeast Regional Office. Their mission is to survey and document Georgia's historic landscape resources. These surveys provide valuable information for researchers as well as help to identify which properties might be eligible for the National Register and the Georgia Register of Historic Places.
Modeled after the national Historic American Landscapes Survey (HALS) and using Garden History of Georgia, 1733-1933 as a guide, the Georgia Historic Landscape Initiative attempts to determine which of the book's historic gardens remain and what changes have been made to them. Landscape surveys are completed by volunteers from the Garden Club of Georgia, Inc., and by graduate students for the Cherokee Garden Library fellowship program.
10.09 linear ft. (20 document cases and one oversize box)
System of Arrangement
This collection is arranged alphabetically by county name.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Collected by staff, interns, fellows and volunteers, 2011 (2011.8).
- Eaddy, Mary Ann. "Georgia's Historic Landscape Initiative," CRM: The Journal of Heritage Stewardship, Vol. 2: 2, Summer 2005, pp. 101-106.
- Catron, Staci. Cherokee Garden Library Fellowship 2010: Georgia Historic Landscape Initiative, 2010.
Collection processed in 2011, with subsequent additions.
- Cooney, Loraine M. (Loraine Meeks) -- Garden History of Georga: 1733-1933
- Gardens -- Conservation and restoration -- Georgia
- Historic Landscape Initiative (Project)
- Historic gardens -- Conservation and restoration -- Georgia
- Historic preservation -- Georgia
- Historic sites -- Conservation and restoration -- Georgia
- Landscape architecture -- Georgia
- Landscape gardening -- Georgia -- History
- Cothran, James R. (Person)
- Cherokee Garden Library (Atlanta, Ga.) (Organization)
- Historic American Landscapes Survey (Organization)
- United States. National Park Service. Southeast Regional Office (Organization)
- Historic Landscape Initiative (Project) (Organization)
- Georgia. Historic Preservation Division (Organization)
- Cooney, Loraine M. (Loraine Meeks) (Person)
- Garden Club of Georgia. (Organization)
- Georgia Historic Landscape Initiative records
- Jennie Oldfield
- February 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.