Skip to main content

Landscape architectural drawings of Violet Bank

 Collection
Collection number: ahc.VIS277

Scope and Content

This collection contains landscape drawings that provide details of the garden and landscape history at the Violet Bank estate in Griffin, Georgia. A planting plan by the C. A. Dahl Company shows the layout of the property including the house, driveway, and formal garden. Of note, this drawing erroneously cites Mrs. H. W. Barnes as Mrs. H. 'G.' Barnes. Also a part of the collection are garden sketches by an unknown landscape architect which provide plant variety names and describe trees, wooded areas, garden beds, and paths.

Dates

  • 1924-1985

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.

Administrative/Biographical History

The Violet Bank estate in Griffin, Georgia, (originally the Seaton Grantland house), includes a house built in 1890 and surrounding gardens. In 1922, owners Henry Wilbur Barnes (1870-1937) and Leila Gilliam Grantland Barnes (1881-1979) hired architect J. Neel Reid (1885-1926) to remodel the house in the Georgian Revival style, inspired by Hansbury Hall in England. The Atlanta landscape firm, C. A. Dahl Company created a planting plan for the gardens in 1924. Additional historical information about Violet Bank has not been determined.

Extent

2 sets_of_landscape_drawings

System of Arrangement

This collection is arranged chronologically according to titles supplied by staff.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift, 2014

Description Control

This collection was processed in 2018.
Title
Landscape architectural drawings of Violet Bank
Author
Jennie Oldfield
Date
February 2018
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040