Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 40
Collection number: ahc.MSS625f
Scope and Content This collection consists of six receipts from the Western and Atlantic Railroad dated 1847-1849 and one letter from A. J. Park to R. A. Park of Ohio dated July 1864 from Kennesaw Mountain, Georgia.
Collection number: ahc.VIS144
Scope and Contents of the Records This collection contains aerial photographs produced to assist Adams-Cates Company in the development of commercial real estate in the metropolitan Atlanta area. Aerial views of the cities of Atlanta, College Park, Decatur, East Point, Forest Park, Gainesville, Hapeville, Lithonia, Marietta, Panthersville, Sandy Springs, Smyrna, Stone Mountain, as well as dozens of images of unidentified areas in the metropolitan Atlanta region are contained in the collection. The photographs document the...
Collection number: ahc.MSS503
Scope and Content This collection contains correspondence, newspaper clippings, copies of photographs, time tables, wage schedules, rule books, and other publications pertaining to Harbin's employment as a railroad engineer. Also included are railroad union and Masonic publications.
Collection number: ahc.VIS156
Scope and Contents of the Records These photographs were taken by Andrew Sparks, and include images of geographic locations in College Park, Georgia and in Southwest Atlanta, Georgia. College Park images include the Atlantic and West Point Railroad Depot, City Auditorium, City Hall, College Park High School, First Baptist Church, First Methodist Church, Georgia Military Academy, Main Street, and the Post Office. Southwest Atlanta images include the Enon Baptist Church in Old Campbell on Stonewall-Tell Road.
Collection number: ahc.MSS935f
Scope and Content This collection contains a binder of official documents issued by the United States War Department concerning land-grant equalization between the federal government and railroad companies. Also included is a map of land grant and bond-aided railroads.
Collection number: ahc.VIS123
Scope and Contents of the Records The photographs in this collection were taken on June 19, 1908, the occasion of the running of the “Atlanta Chamber of Commerce Special,” the first regular passenger train of the Atlanta Division of the Atlanta, Birmingham, and Atlantic Railroad. The photographs were taken by Abananza Studios of Atlanta, Georgia.
Collection number: ahc.VIS93
Scope and Contents This collection contains postcards that depict scenes in Atlanta and the state of Georgia. Most of the images are of man-made structures in Atlanta including Agnes Scott College, Atlanta Municipal Airport (now Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport), Biltmore Hotel, Booker T. Washington High School, Bulloch Hall, Candler Building, Capitol City Club, City Hall, Clark College (now Clark Atlanta University), Atlanta Cyclorama at Grant Park, English-American (Flatiron) Building, Fort McPherson,...
Collection number: ahc.MSS381
Scope and Content This collection contains organization records and employee records pertaining to the Atlanta Joint Terminal. Included are time books and payroll records as well as blueprints.
Collection number: ahc.VIS111
Scope and Contents of the Records This collection is comprised of photographs of downtown Atlanta, Georgia, and include images of Terminal Station, Underground Atlanta, and Loew’s Grand Theatre. Photographs of Terminal Station were taken in 1971 shortly before it closed and include images of the front façade and architectural details. Photographs of Underground At businesses that were in the area. Photographs of Loew’s Grand Theatre were taken on the day it caught fire in 1978 and include images of the fire in progress and the...
Collection number: ahc.VIS99
Scope and Contents of the Records This collection is comprised of original negatives, copy prints, and copy negatives created by Bill Wilson and other artists and photographers, whose works were collected by Wilson. The collection offers important documentation on a wide variety of personalities, events, and geographic locations both in Atlanta and throughout Georgia. Most of the material is captured on acetate film and color transparencies.
Collection number: ahc.MSS591
Scope and Contents of the Records This collection consists primarily of the records of Central Atlanta Progress, Inc. The collection includes a small amount of material (1929-1952) from predecessor organizations: Central Atlanta Improvement Association, Greater Atlanta for Annexation, Inc, and the Central Marietta Street Association. The collection also includes early correspondence regarding the Nashville, Chattanooga and St. Louis Railroad and the construction of viaducts and bridges in downtown Atlanta in the 1920s and...
Collection number: ahc.VIS131
Scope and Contents of the Records This collection contains photographs of cities located south of Atlanta, Georgia in Fulton County. Included are images of College Park, East Point, Fairburn, Hapeville, Palmetto, Red Oak, and Union City. Many of these cities were originally part of Campbell County, a county that went bankrupt during the Great Depression and was then merged with Fulton County. Photographer Hancock follows highways 19 and 29 in a span of one month to reveal the former Campbell County cities in their 1954...
Collection number: ahc.MSS201f
Scope and Content This collection contains one bound volume. Inside are two letters to Miss Ruth Blair, the Executive Secretary of the Atlanta Historical Society, dated March 11, 1938 and March 18, 1938, both from Fitzhugh Knox, Sr. Also included is a short manuscript titled “My Reminiscences From 1883”. The first part of the manuscript is a memoir which mentions many prominent citizens, such as Joel Chandler Harris, Carroll Payne, and Henry W. Grady; businesses, like the Merchants Bank of Atlanta, J. Regenstein...
Collection number: ahc.MSS515f
Scope and Content This collection contains three manuscripts: "Arrogant Atlanta" retells a British newspaper account of a visit to Atlanta around 1880; "Atlanta's Heart" discusses the building of the Georgia Railroad Depot in 1864 and the activities of the Beethoven Society which was located in the building; and "David Howard" a profile of a former enslaved man and his entrepreneurial activities in post-bellum Atlanta.
Collection number: ahc.VIS2
Scope and Content This collection includes photographs of people, places, and events taken by Atlanta Constitution photographer Francis E. price. Most of the images were probably produced for news stories in the newspaper. Included are photographs of President Theodore Roosevelt; Democratic party leader William Jennings Bryan; Georgia Poet Laureate and Atlanta Constitution columnist Frank L. Stanton; Atlanta...
Collection number: ahc.VIS130
Scope and Contents of the Records Included in this collection are slides and photographs of geographic locations, events, and transportation in Atlanta and the state of Georgia. The collection contains images of downtown Atlanta, including aerial views, government buildings, private residences, parks, street scenes, railroads, as well as photographs depicting poverty and sub-standard housing. The photographs of Herbert H. Lee are an excellent resource for those interested in the subject of urban renewal, and the post-World War...
Collection number: ahc.MSS762f
Scope and Content This collection contains business documents found at a railroad station Covington, Georgia by the Seaboard Coast Line Railroad. The papers appear to be collected by Ike W. Brown and primarily pertain to railroad travel. Items include an account book, correspondence, train ticket stubs, and two booklets delineating train tariffs.
Collection number: ahc.MSS745f
Scope and Content This collection contains two letters sent to the Atlanta Historical Society by J. H. Elliott. The letters contain Georgia news stories from the Scientific American, transcribed by Elliott in 1943. The stories date from 1847 to 1854.
Collection number: ahc.MSS79f
Scope and Content This collection contains correspondence, military documents, and other personal records of James R. Crew. Correspondence includes letters Crew wrote to his wife about life in Atlanta during and after the Civil War. Crew did not date the letters but he describes contemporary war events such as battles in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Florida, and New Orleans, Louisiana. He talks about the hanging of "bridge burners," referring to a group of Union spies known as Andrews Raiders. Crew also...
Collection number: ahc.MSS852
Scope and Content This collection contains a wide variety of technical manuals, operation logs, and repair guides. These were designed to assist engineers in diagnosing and correcting problems on the Southern Railway locomotives of the 1940s and 1950s. Other articles include newspaper clippings and magazines on the history of Southern Railway, personnel rosters, train schedules, and some of Stein's personal papers.
- Subject: Railroads -- Georgia X
- Western and Atlantic Railroad Company 7
- Atlanta and West Point Rail Road Company 3
- Coca-Cola Company 3
- Union Station (Atlanta, Ga.) 3
- Atlanta Chamber of Commerce 2
- Atlanta Constitution Building (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Atlanta Historical Society 2
- Atlanta Municipal Airport (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Campbell High School (Fairburn, Ga.) 2
- Carter, Jimmy, 1924- 2
- Cotton States Exposition (1895 : Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Cox College (College Park, Ga.) 2
- East Lake Golf Club (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- First Baptist Church (College Park, Ga.) 2
- Ford Motor Company. Atlanta Assembly Plant (Hapeville, Ga.) 2
- Forward Atlanta Commission 2
- Georgia School of Technology 2
- Georgia World Congress Center (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Grady, Henry Woodfin, 1850-1889 2
- Ku Klux Klan, 1915- 2
- Long, Stephen H. (Stephen Harriman) 2
- Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority 2
- Nashville, Chattanooga, and St. Louis Railway 2
- Peters, Richard 2
- Seaboard Coast Line Railroad 2
- Southern Railway (U.S.) 2
- Terminal Station (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Underground Atlanta, Inc. 2
- Young, Andrew 2
- Abananza Studios (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Academy for Contemporary Problems 1
- Adams-Cates Company (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Agnes Scott College 1
- Amtrak 1
- Amy L. Dodd School (Ocee, Ga.) 1
- Ansley Hotel (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Arrington, Marvin S. 1
- Atlanta 2000, Inc. 1
- Atlanta Action Forum 1
- Atlanta Black Crackers (Baseball team) 1
- Atlanta Chess Club (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Atlanta Civic Center (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Atlanta Convention and Visitors Bureau 1
- Atlanta Crackers (Baseball team) 1
- Atlanta Cyclorama (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Atlanta Economic Development Corporation 1
- Atlanta Gas Light Company 1
- Atlanta International Raceway (Hampton, Ga.) 1
- Atlanta Joint Terminals 1
- Atlanta Memorial Arts Center 1
- Atlanta Municipal Auditorium (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Atlanta Public Schools 1
- Atlanta Regional Commission 1
- Atlanta Upholstering Shop (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Atlanta Water Works (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Atlanta, Birmingham & Atlantic Railway 1
- Atlanta, Birmingham & Coast Railroad Company 1
- Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Company 1
- Atlantic Steel Company 1
- Bailey-Johnson School (Alpharetta, Ga.) 1
- Beaudry Motor Company (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Belle Isle Center (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Berry College 1
- Biltmore Hotel (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Booker T. Washington High School (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Brine, Florence W. 1
- Broadway Apartments (Augusta, Ga.) 1
- Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen and Enginemen 1
- Brown, Charles McDonald 1
- Brown, Elijah Alexander, Sr. 1
- Brown, Elizabeth Grisham 1
- Brown, Franklin Pierce, 1853-1871 1
- Brown, Ike W. 1
- Brown, Joseph E. (Joseph Emerson), 1821-1894 1
- Brown, Joseph M. 1
- Brown, Julius L., 1848-1910 1
- Brown, Sally Eugenia, 1862-1942 1
- Bryan, William Jennings 1
- Campbell County Courthouse (Fairburn, Ga.) 1
- Campbellton Baptist Church (Campbellton, Ga.) 1
- Candler Warehouse Co. (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Candler, Asa Griggs, 1851-1929 1
- Capacity, Inc. 1
- Capitol Avenue Baptist Church (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Carneal, Raymond B. 1
- Carnegie Library of Atlanta 1
- Cedar Grove Community House (Cedar Grove, Ga.) 1
- Cedar Grove School (Cedar Grove, Ga.) 1
- Central Area Job Placement Center (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Central Atlanta Improvement Association 1
- Central Atlanta Progress, Inc. 1
- Central Marietta Street Association (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Central Park School (East Point, Ga.) 1
- Chattahoochee Industrial Park (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Church Street School (East Point, Ga.) 1
- City Apartments (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- City Auditorium (College Park, Ga.) 1
- Club Martinique (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Cobb County Courthouse (Marietta, Ga.) 1 ∧ less