Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 29
Collection number: ahc.VIS359
Scope and Content The collection contains images of former enslaved people and elderly African Americans who lived at the E.R. Carter Home for the Elderly. Named in honor of Reverend Edward Randolph Carter (1856-1944), the pastor spearheaded an extensive housing ministry and directed the construction of a home for the aged, which was operated by Friendship Baptist Church in Atlanta, Georgia. The home was later demolished.
Collection number: ahc.VIS259
Scope and Content This collection contains images of homes built in the early 20th century in the Atkins Park neighborhood, Atlanta, Georgia. A variety of architectural styles are represented including Georgian Revival, American Craftsman, and English Tudor. The photographs also provide details of landscape styles as well as popular shrubs and ornamental plants used in front yard gardens. Of special note are two images of the neighborhood stone entrance gateways.
Collection number: ahc.VIS370
Scope and Content The collection contains images that detail the civic and social history of the Cherokee Garden Club. Included in the collection are photographs of the club's civic projects, flower show arrangements, and needlework. Also a part of the collection are images of club members attending the Garden Club of America Zone VIII meetings and working at fundraising events such as Potlatch and Gardener's Delight. A video and photographs of the Cherokee Garden Library document the early years of the...
Collection number: ahc.MSS968
Scope and Contents of the Records The Constance Knowles Draper Collection includes images of Mrs. Draper’s home and garden on Cherokee Road. The collection also contains Mrs. Draper’s lecture to the Peachtree Garden Club on Ferrell Gardens in LaGrange, Georgia. The bulk of the collection includes images of these gardens; Mrs. Draper used many of these in her Peachtree Garden Club lecture. In addition, the collection contains material documenting the landscape work that Edith Harrison and Constance Draper completed for Cason...
Collection number: ahc.VIS226
Scope and Content This collection contains both residential and commercial landscape drawings for clients throughout the southeast United States. Also included are a few projects for international clients. The majority of projects are residential clients.
Collection number: ahc.MSS1065
Scope and Content This collection contains client files detailing landscape architecture plans, estimates, invoices, and correspondence. Also included are accounting and financial records, teaching and lecture materials, and professional correspondence with vendors and nurseries. Additionally, media files contain articles highlighting Dargan projects and events.
Collection number: ahc.VIS312
Scope and Content This collection contains interior and exterior views of the Edgar Poe McBurney's residence at 1300 Peachtree Road, Atlanta, Georgia. One photograph shows a view of a formal dinner party held at McBurney's home in celebration of his birthday. Of special note are images of Villa Nelili, McBurney's Memorial Gardens.
Collection number: ahc.MSS10f
Scope and Content This collection contains correspondence, budgets, minutes, and a roster of members of the Fulton County Botanical Garden Commission. Correspondence includes discussion of the development of both the botanical garden and an airport in the same vicinity, now known as Fulton County Airport-Brown Field.
Collection number: ahc.MSS786f
Scope and Content This collection contains correspondence, contracts, and invoices for landscape work completed at the Memorial Garden at the Governor's Mansion. Also included are descriptions of stonework such as a limestone oval and a millstone. Of special interest are plant lists providing details of trees and shrubs used in the project.
Collection number: ahc.MSS1200
Scope and Contents This collection contains correspondence, brochures, meeting announcements, membership applications, and speaker rosters that document the activities of the association. Also a part of the collection are materials that provide details about annual symposiums, annual plant sales, and garden tours. Of special interest is an informational brochure for an educational flower show display, "Enduring Perennials," an Atlanta garden during World War II, created for the 2004 Southeastern Flower Show.
Collection number: ahc.VIS366
Scope and Content This collection contains photographs and maps that provide details about the Harper family. Most of the images depict Adelle Harper in her numerous roles as businesswoman and florist, author, genealogist, and mother. Also included are photographs of her husband, John, their children, and other family members at school settings, family gatherings, and in front of their various Atlanta residences. Of special note are images of Adelle and Auverne Harper at a Woman of the Year award reception.
Collection number: ahc.MSS976
Scope and Contents of the Records The Helen Hawkins Clarke collection contains landscape sketches drawn by Clarke. Photographs of Clarke at work and photographs of the work she completed in her garden are also included. Clarke’s clippings of photographs and landscape designs from popular magazines from the 1920s and 1930s constitute a large portion of the collection. The bulk of the collection dates from 1923-1938. The collection also contains two issues of Garden Gateways, correspondence regarding the restoration of the...
Collection number: ahc.VIS396
Scope and Contents This collection contains photographs that document the social and civic activities of the club. Photographs include unidentified members attending social and civic events, field trips, and garden tours. Of special interest are images of historic homes and an unidentified cemetery in Georgia.
Collection number: ahc.VIS292
Scope and Content This collection contains images of unidentified Atlantans posed in and around their homes.
Collection number: ahc.VIS182
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of landscape plans, photographs, negatives, and slides created by Atlanta landscape designer, Julia Orme Martin, from 1971 to 1995. The collection consists of primarily landscape designs for residential properties in the neighborhoods of Ansley Park and Buckhead, in Atlanta, Georgia. Of particular note are the drawings pertaining to the Columbus Museum in Columbus, Georgia as well as those pertaining to the Tompkins property on West Wesley Road in Atlanta, Georgia....
Collection number: ahc.MSS1137
Scope and Content The majority of this collection contains correspondence, estimates, ledgers, proposals, and planting studies that provide a history of Julia O. Martin's career as principal of Julia O. Martin Landscape Design. Martin's resume and clippings offer details of her personal and professional life. Of special note are Martin's garden design sketches included in various planting studies.
Collection number: ahc.VIS379
Scope and Content This collection contains photographs taken by Reeves Studios of the gardens of Laura and John Bulow Campbell's property at 2958 Andrews Drive. The images highlight a boxwood terrace garden with tulips, a central pool featuring a Leda and the Swan bronze statue, garden tile, and a grassy allee flanked by dogwoods in bloom. Of special note are several millstones, popular decoration in gardens of that time period.
Collection number: ahc.VIS386
Scope and Contents This collection contains color images of Lois Scott's roses, camellias, and garden. Included in the collection are images of a child (likely Lois Ann) in the garden, the Scott residence, and a wooded area in spring bloom. Of special interest is an image of Scott with her flower show award ribbons and roses.
Collection number: ahc.VIS113
Scope and Contents of the Records This collection of public relations photographs contains images of the city of Atlanta that were created for the Forward Atlanta campaign in the late 1960s and early 1970s, and were meant to showcase the city. Some images were probably taken in support of other public relations activities of Bell and Stanton, but are not identified as such. Included are aerial views of downtown Atlanta, Midtown, and the Peachtree Center area, which highlight the city’s skyline and infrastructure. Other...
Collection number: ahc.MSS459f
Scope and Content This collection consists of committee minutes, correspondence, notes, and clippings. It also includes a copy of the executive order creating the Mansion Fine Arts Committee, a letter from Governor Sanders inviting Isabel Johnston to join, and a letter of appreciation from Governor Lester Maddox thanking her for her participation.
- Subject: Gardens -- Georgia -- Atlanta X
- Peachtree Garden Club (Atlanta, Ga.) 3
- Smith, William T. (William Tingle) 3
- Dargan Landscape Architects, Inc. 2
- Dargan, Hugh Graham 2
- Dargan, Mary Palmer 2
- Franklin-Smith Associates 2
- Julia O. Martin Landscape Design 2
- Martin, Julia Orme 2
- Park Pride (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- American Motor Hotel (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Anglin and Randall Photographers (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Atkins Park Garden Club (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Atlanta (Ga.). Department of Parks, Recreation & Cemetery 1
- Atlanta (Ga.). Department of Parks, Recreation & Cultural Affairs 1
- Atlanta Braves (Baseball team) 1
- Atlanta City Hall (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Atlanta Civic Center (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Atlanta Cyclorama (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Atlanta Memorial Arts Center 1
- Atlanta Municipal Airport (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Atlanta Tulip Flower Show Association 1
- Atlanta Zoo 1
- Atlanta's Woman of the Year Organization (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Bel-Air Hotel (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Biltmore Hotel (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Brady, Auverne Harper, 1908-2010 1
- Buchanan, Joseph F. 1
- Butts, Norman C. 1
- C.W. Motes (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Callaway, Cason J. (Cason Jewell) 1
- Campbell, John Bulow, 1870-1940 1
- Campbell, Laura Berry 1
- Carter, Edward Randolph 1
- Catholic Shrine of the Immaculate Conception (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Chastain Park (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Cherokee Garden Club (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Cherokee Garden Library (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Clarke, Helen Hawkins 1
- Colonial Flower Shop (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Colonial Williamsburg, inc.. Dept. of Collections 1
- Colony Square (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Condon, Linnie, 1844-1909 1
- Courts, Virginia Orme Campbell 1
- Draper, Constance Knowles 1
- Draper, Jesse 1
- E. R. Carter Home for the Elderly (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Edith Harrison and Constance Draper, Office of Landscape Architecture 1
- Faust, Conrad E. 1
- First National Bank of Atlanta 1
- Fort Walker (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Forward Atlanta Commission 1
- Franklin, Daniel Berry 1
- Friendship Baptist Church (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Fulton County (Ga.). Botanical Garden Commission 1
- Fulton County Airport-Brown Field 1
- Fulton County Botanical Garden (Ga.) 1
- Garden Club of America 1
- Garden Club of Georgia. 1
- Gardens for Peace (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Georgia Governor's Mansion (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Georgia Governor's Mansion (Atlanta, Ga.). Memorial Garden 1
- Georgia State Capitol (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Georgia. Mansion Fine Arts Committee 1
- Harper family 1
- Harper's Flowers (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Harper, Adelle Bartlett, 1885-1974 1
- Hastings, Donald M. 1
- Henderson, Edith, 1911- 1
- Hyatt Regency Hotel (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Ivy Garden Club (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Joel Hurt Memorial Park (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Johnston, Isabel 1
- Jones, Emma 1
- Lenox Square (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Little, Roberta P. 1
- Maddox, Margaret 1
- McBurney, Edgar Poe 1
- Men's Garden Club of Atlanta (Ga.) 1
- Menefee family 1
- Menefee, George 1
- Meriwether , Elizabeth, 1905-2000 1
- Mitchell family 1
- Mitchell, Eugene Muse 1
- Mitchell, Jessie M. 1
- Mitchell, Russell Crawford 1
- Monroe's Landscape and Nursery Co. (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Monroe, William L., 1892-1965 1
- Monroe, William L., 1925-1999 1
- Murrell, Nancy 1
- Nicholson, Marie S. 1
- Pauley, William C. (William Crooks) 1
- Peeples, Alfred 1
- Phipps Plaza (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Ray, Walt 1
- Reeves Studios (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Rhodes Hall (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Rose Garden Club (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Sheehan, Agatha 1
- Simons, George I. 1 ∧ less