Skip to main content

Cherokee Garden Club visual arts materials

 Collection
Collection number: ahc.VIS370

Scope and Content

The collection contains images that detail the civic and social history of the Cherokee Garden Club. Included in the collection are photographs of the club's civic projects, flower show arrangements, and needlework. Also a part of the collection are images of club members attending the Garden Club of America Zone VIII meetings and working at fundraising events such as Potlatch and Gardener's Delight. A video and photographs of the Cherokee Garden Library document the early years of the library's development. Of special interest are photographs of the Dolly Blalock Black Memorial Garden at Henrietta Egleston Hospital for Children from its original location on Forrest Avenue (later Ralph McGill Boulevard) in Atlanta.

Dates

  • approximately 1935-2014

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.

Administrative/Biographical History

The Cherokee Garden Club of Atlanta, Georgia, was formed on March 10, 1928 and is Atlanta's second oldest garden club. The club was organized for "the study and culture of flowers, landscape gardening, protection of natural trees, plants, and birds, and the encouragement of civic planting." In 1928, the club was one of the eleven founding clubs of The Garden Club of Georgia and also a founding club of the Atlanta Garden Center and the Atlanta Flower Show Association. In 1963, the club was invited to join the Garden Club of America and also joined the National Council of Garden Clubs, Inc., the Georgia Conservancy, Inc., and the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Governed by elected officers such as president, vice-president, and treasurer, the club's first civic project was the 1928 planting of the Dolly Blalock Black Memorial Garden at Egleston Hospital on Forrest Avenue, Atlanta designed by Norman C. Butts. The club hired Edward L. Daugherty in 1969 to design a garden for the blind called the Fragrance Garden in Piedmont Park with club member Eleanor Morgan Montgomery. The garden was refurbished in 1973 and expanded into the "Fragrance and Texture Garden," which was later incorporated into the Atlanta Botanical Garden.

Administrative/Biographical History

In 1975, under the leadership of past club president Anne Coppedge Carr, the club established the Cherokee Garden Library, housed at the Atlanta Historical Society (later the Atlanta History Center) to serve as an educational repository for garden and horticultural records for the Southeast. In 2001, the Garden Club of America awarded Anne Carr the prestigious Amy Angell Collier Montague Medal for the creation and development of the Cherokee Garden Library. Cherokee Garden Club has participated in numerous flowers shows beginning in 1929, with Peachtree Garden Club's annual flower show and continues to participate and host flower shows and exhibitions, winning numerous awards. The club is an active member of the Garden Club of America, with members serving on many committees in Zone VIII and on the national level. The club has also hosted many zone and annual meetings for the Garden Club of America.

Extent

286 item(s) (148 color transparencies, 129 color photographic prints, five black and white photographic prints, two postcards, one DVD, and one VHS cassette)

System of Arrangement

This collection is arranged alphabetically according to titles supplied by staff.

Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements

The DVD AV-VIS 370.021 is available digitally in the reading room. Please contact an archivist for access.

Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements

The video recording AV-VIS 370.005 is accessible only through conversion to digital format. Patrons who request access to this item are responsible for digital conversion costs.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift, 1975, with subsequent additons

Related Archival Materials

Cherokee Garden Club records, MSS 650, Cherokee Garden Library, Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center

Description Control

This collection was processed in 2019.
Title
Cherokee Garden Club visual arts materials
Author
Staci Catron and Jennie Oldfield
Date
December 2019
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040