Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 22
Collection number: ahc.VIS68
Scope and Content This collection contains various types of visual images, including photographs, lithoghraphs, posters, and prints from periodicals, pertaining to African Americans. Included in the collection are stereotypical racist pictures and postcards; photographs of African Americans working as domestics, agricultural laborers, musicians, streetcar conductors, etc.; portraits of African American women, men, and children; prints depicting significant events, such as the Fort Pillow Massacre and the...
Dates: 1860-1957, undated
Collection number: ahc.MSS1014
Scope and Content This collection contains newspaper clippings, correspondence, awards and ceremony programs, and scrapbooks collected by the Allen family. The bulk of the collection pertains to Ivan Allen, Sr. and Ivan Allen, Jr.'s business, civic, and political affairs. Ivan Allen, Sr.'s state senate campaign and election, and Ivan Allen, Jr.'s mayoral campaign and election, and both father and son's work with various charities and civic minded associations are included. Of note are the numerous scrapbooks...
Dates: 1899-2004, undated
Collection number: ahc.VIS104
Scope and Contents of the Records The collection consists of images of family members and friends of the Allen, Inman, Richardson, and Grant families of Atlanta, Georgia. Most of the photographs of family members consist of images of Ivan Allen, Sr. and Ivan Allen, Jr. Included are photographs of Ivan Allen, Sr. at business meetings, civic and social events, and with friends and family. Photographs of Ivan Allen, Jr. include those from his childhood throughout his career as a businessman and mayor of Atlanta. Also included are...
Dates: 1840-1990, undated
Collection number: ahc.MSS789f
Scope and Content This collection primarily consists of telegrams sent to Alton Bowie Reddick, Jr. (1920-2009) in regards to the Time Capsule Committee project. Telegrams were sent from Ralph McGill (1898-1969), Mayor William B. Hartsfield (1890-1971), and Collett E. Woolman (1899-1966), with predictions of Atlanta's growth and development between 1959 and 1998. There are also newspaper clippings with predictions of urban growth in every city and county in Georgia between 1959 and 2033.
Dates: 1959 May
Collection number: ahc.CityofAtlanta
Scope and Content This collection consists of administrative records from the City of Atlanta, which have been divided into sixteen series. Records include materials pertaining to select mayors of Atlanta and correspondence and memos from the Executive Office. The collection also includes City Council and Board of Alderman legislation, minutes, and proceedings. Records also include material regarding transportation, public safety, finance, planning and community development, courts, public works, and maps. ...
Dates: 1848-2009, undated
Collection number: ahc.MSS97
Scope and Content The clippings, correspondence, programs, and articles in this collections, pertain primarily to the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and the Atlanta Symphony Guild, and secondarily with the Atlanta Music Club and the Atlanta Junior League. Of particular note is a signed proclamation by Mayor William B. Hartsfield that declared September, 6-13, 1954, Atlanta Symphony Week, the script of the orchestra’s tenth anniversary radio program, (which includes a history of the group), and several articles...
Dates: 1938-1956, undated
Collection number: ahc.VIS186
Scope and Content This collection contains images that document the metropolitan Atlanta region and photographs illustrating social events in the city. Bell and Stanton Public Relations used these photographs documenting the Atlanta area as promotional images. Most of the images were taken in the late 1960s and include the Atlanta Civic Center, Atlanta Memorial Arts Center, First Federal Savings and Loan building, Hartford Insurance building, Peachtree Center, and the Trust Company of Georgia. The collection...
Collection number: ahc.MSS68
Scope and Content Lists of personnel of the civil court of Fulton County, a series of publications titled Railroad Stories, by H. A. Couch; inaugural invitations for President Herbert Hoover and Franklin D. Roosevelt, and a letter from Mayor William Hartsfield on the annexation of Buckhead and Druid Hills.
Collection number: ahc.VIS35
Scope and Content The collection contains images of Grace Towns Hamilton, her family, special events, and other public officials. The bulk of the collection features Hamilton posed with public officials including: Governor Jimmy Carter, U.S. Congressman Andrew Young, Georgia Governor George Busbee, Coretta Scott King, Atlanta University President Benjamin E. Mays, and U.S. Congressman Julian Bond. Also included are photographs of Atlanta homes of the 1960s; African-American Navy yard workers (1940s); the...
Dates: 1882-1984, undated
Collection number: ahc.MSS58
Scope and Content These papers pramarily relate to Helen Bullard's work with the Atlanta Housing Authority (AHA). Records include memoranda, minutes, membership information, agendas, reports, training material, surveys, resolutions, program materials, financial and budget records, and correspondence. Other materials pertain to political campaigns that Bullard handled between 1970 and 1976, including election reports that she collected between 1967 and 1977, and papers from her work with Judge Alexander William,...
Dates: 1968-1977, undated
Collection number: ahc.VIS382
Scope and Contents This collection contains photographs and blueprints from the Atlanta Transit System, Inc. (ATS) in Atlanta, Georgia. Included are photographs and schematics of buses, streetcars, and trolleys used by ATS, as well as images of ATS staff. Of special note are photographs of Governor Lester Maddox (1915-2003) with William P. Maynard, president of ATS, signing a sales tax relief bill, which removed sales taxes on passenger fares. Also included is an image of Governor Maddox signing a proclamation...
Dates: 1923-1975, undated
Collection number: ahc.VIS43
Scope and Content The bulk of this collection consists of photographs of Police Chief Herbert Jenkins and Atlanta Police Department personnel throughout Jenkins' career. Noteworthy images of Jenkins include photographs of him as a child, a portrait taken on his first day as a police officer, and a photograph of him being sworn in by Mayor William B. Hartsfield. Other images of note include a series of photographs of the Summerhill riot of 1966, pictures of the first African American patrolmen, and portraits of...
Dates: 1890s-1975, undated
Collection number: ahc.MSS53
Scope and Content These papers consist primarily of newspaper clippings collected by Jennie Meta Barker about Atlanta and it's history. Most clippings relate broadly to Atlanta, but particular subjects include history, the arts, politics and government, business and organizations, notable Atlantans, and Georgia geography. In addition to clippings, there are also reports, pamphlets, publications, and correspondence relating to these topics. The collection also contains notes and chapters that Barker wrote for...
Dates: approximately 1820-1967, undated; Majority of material found within 1920 - 1967
Collection number: ahc.MSS712f
Scope and Content This collection contains materials related to the proposed Interstate 485 (I-485) and the civic organizations that were formed to fight it. Included in the collection is a chronology of the fight to stop I-485, correspondence, petitions, flyers, a map, and newspaper clippings. Letters consist of correspondence between the Morningside-Monroe Civic Association, Board of Aldermen President Sam Massell, Jr., former Atlanta Mayor William B. Hartsfield, and Congressmen Richard B. Russell, Harry Floyd...
Dates: 1964-1974, undated
Collection number: ahc.VIS282
Scope and Content This collection consists of images from the September 12, 1954 ceremony in which the National Jewish War Veterans' members presented a portrait of Judah P. Benjamin, Confederate Secretary of War, to the City of Atlanta.
Dates: 1954 September 12
Collection number: ahc.MSS1159
Scope and Content This collection contains material that documents the creation, activities, and dissolution of the Southeastern Fair Association, later called the Atlanta Fair and Exposition Center, Inc. Records include bylaws, charter contracts, lease agreements with the City of Atlanta, meeting minutes, accounts, and other administrative documents that illustrate the structure, function, and operations of the organization. The collection also contains correspondence between various members of the board of...
Dates: 1915-1978, undated
Collection number: ahc.MSS811
Scope and Content This collection contains newspaper clippings and magazine articles pertaining to Hartsfield. Also, there are technical publications and articles concerning the growth of the Atlanta airport as well as the city's highways. Articles on flouridation and the Chattahoochee River Basin are also included. The collection has various awards and personal effects such as greeting cards, a checkbook, the Hartsfield coat of arms, and letters.
Dates: 1943-1970, undated
Collection number: ahc.VIS4
Scope and Content This collection consists of images of William B. Hartsfield, often with others, taken during his later years as Mayor. Also included are pictures of him with family or friends following the end of his political career.
Dates: 1950-1971, undated
Collection number: ahc.MSS530
Scope and Content This collection contains pages from a scrapbook; a copy of a letter addressed to "William;" a thank you card from Mrs. William B. Hartsfield; and two programs pertaining to William B. Hartsfield. Also included are newspaper clippings that cover Hartsfield's elections, activities in office, death, and funeral and memorial services.
Collection number: ahc.VIS194
Scope and Content The footage, in its original format, is one reel of black and white acetate 16mm film. The film is edited from several individual reels and includes title and story cards. The first several minutes of the film captures the arrival of the principal actors and studio executives as they disembark at Atlanta Municipal Airport and proceed down the streets of Atlanta. There are many close-up shots of principal actors including Olivia De Havilland, Vivien Leigh, Clark Gable, Ona Munson, and Laura...
- Names: Hartsfield, William Berry X
- Atlanta (Ga.) -- Politics and government 6
- Mayors -- Georgia -- Atlanta 5
- Atlanta (Ga.) -- History 4
- Neighborhoods -- Georgia -- Atlanta 4
- Transportation -- Georgia -- Atlanta 4
- African American women -- Georgia -- Atlanta 3
- Atlanta (Ga.) -- Economic conditions 3
- Atlanta (Ga.) -- Social life and customs 3
- Education -- Georgia -- Atlanta 3
- Police -- Georgia -- Atlanta 3
- Aerial photography -- Georgia -- Atlanta 2
- African American businesspeople -- Georgia -- Atlanta 2
- African American police -- Georgia -- Atlanta 2
- African American politicians -- Georgia -- Atlanta 2
- Air -- Pollution 2
- Associations, institutions, etc. -- Georgia -- Atlanta 2
- Atlanta (Ga.) 2
- Atlanta (Ga.) -- Race relations 2
- Charities -- Georgia -- Atlanta 2
- Citizens' associations -- Georgia -- Atlanta 2
- City planning -- Georgia -- Atlanta 2
- Civil rights -- Georgia -- Atlanta 2
- Civil rights demonstrations -- Georgia -- Atlanta 2
- Civil rights movements -- Georgia -- Atlanta -- History -- 20th century 2
- Economic development -- Georgia -- Atlanta 2
- Fires -- Georgia -- Atlanta 2
- Fulton County (Ga.) 2
- Fulton County (Ga.) -- Politics and government 2
- Fund raising -- Georgia -- Atlanta 2
- Georgia -- Politics and government 2
- Local transit -- Georgia -- Atlanta 2
- Music -- Georgia -- Atlanta 2
- Police training -- Georgia -- Atlanta 2
- Politicians -- Georgia 2
- Public housing -- Georgia -- Atlanta 2
- Public housing -- Resident satisfaction -- Georgia -- Atlanta 2
- Public relations -- Georgia -- Atlanta 2
- Strikes and lockouts -- Georgia -- Atlanta 2
- Summerhill (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Women -- Georgia -- Atlanta 2
- Women teachers -- Georgia -- Atlanta 2
- World War, 1939-1945 2
- 10th Street (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- 4-H Clubs -- Georgia 1
- Actresses -- Georgia 1
- Aerial views -- 1960-1970 1
- Aerial views -- 1970-1980 1
- Affirmative action programs -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- African American agricultural laborers 1
- African American baseball players 1
- African American businesspeople -- Georgia 1
- African American children -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- African American civic leaders -- Georgia 1
- African American construction workers 1
- African American families -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- African American farmers 1
- African American household employees -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- African American legislators -- Georgia 1
- African American musicians -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- African American neighborhoods -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- African American nurses 1
- African American photographers 1
- African American prisoners -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- African American sculpture 1
- African American soldiers 1
- African American universities and colleges -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- African American women artists 1
- African Americans -- Caricatures and cartoons 1
- African Americans -- Clothing -- Georgia 1
- African Americans -- Georgia 1
- African Americans -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- African Americans -- Georgia -- Atlanta -- History 1
- Agricultural exhibitions -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- Agriculture -- Georgia 1
- Agriculture -- Societies, etc. 1
- Airports -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- Alcoholics -- Rehabilitation -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- Art festivals 1
- Art patronage -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- Arts fund raising -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- Atlanta (Ga.) -- Politics and government -- 20th century 1
- Auburn Avenue (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Automobiles -- 1910-1920 1
- Automobiles -- 1930-1940 1
- Automobiles -- 1940-1950 1
- Automobiles -- 1950-1960 1
- Automobiles -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- Awards -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- Baseball -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- Baseball teams -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- Beauty contests -- Georgia 1
- Birthday parties -- 1950-1960 1
- Blues (Music) -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- Broad Street (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Buildings -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- Buses -- 1950-1960 1
- Business enterprises -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- Cable cars (Streetcars) -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- Cattle -- Showing -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- Central business districts -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1 ∧ less