Henry L. Taylor visual arts materials of Atlanta Transit System, Inc.
Collection number: ahc.VIS382
Scope and Contents
This collection contains photographs and blueprints from the Atlanta Transit System, Inc. (ATS) in Atlanta, Georgia. Included are photographs and schematics of buses, streetcars, and trolleys used by ATS, as well as images of ATS staff. Of special note are photographs of Governor Lester Maddox (1915-2003) with William P. Maynard, president of ATS, signing a sales tax relief bill, which removed sales taxes on passenger fares. Also included is an image of Governor Maddox signing a proclamation designating November 28 as "Transportation Day."
- 1923-1975, undated
- Taylor, Henry L. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
Henry L. Taylor served as vice president and secretary-treasurer for Atlanta Transit System, Inc. Additional biographical information has not been determined.
Biographical / Historical
Atlanta Transit System, Inc. (ATS) was a private transportation company operating within the City of Atlanta throughout the 1950s and 1960s. It was previously owned by the Georgia Power Company (GPC) from approximately 1920 until 1950 when it was sold to William E. Mitchell (1882-1960), Atlanta businessman and former president of GPC. Former GPC engineer, William P. Maynard (1920-1997) served as president and general manager of the company. ATS operated buses, trolleys, and the streetcar system in Altanta until its purchase in 1972 by the Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA).
454 item(s) (402 black and white photographic prints, 32 color photographic prints, 17 blueprints, and three drawings)
System of Arrangement
This collection is arranged alphabetically according to titles supplied by staff.
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Some items in this collection are located in cold storage (CS) as indicated by the descriptive inventory. Patrons must allow 24 hours after retrieval of item(s) before viewing material.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, 1974, with subsequent additions
This collection was previously catalogued as ATS and TAY.
This collection was reprocessed in 2020.
- Aerial photography -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Aerial views -- 1970-1980
- Atlanta Transit System, Inc.
- Automobiles -- 1930-1940
- Automobiles -- 1940-1950
- Automobiles -- 1950-1960
- Automobiles -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Broad Street (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Buses -- 1950-1960
- Cable cars (Streetcars) -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Dick, Jackson P.
- Employees' magazines, newsletters, etc.
- Five Points (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Georgia Power Company
- Hartsfield, William Berry
- Haverty, Rawson (James Rawson), 1920-2007
- Local transit -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Maddox, Lester, 1915-2003
- Marietta Street (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Mass transit -- Georgia -- Atlanta -- 1970-1980
- Maynard, W. P. (William P.), 1920-1997
- Mechanical engineering -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority
- Roads -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Smith, Alexander W., 1923-2008
- Streets -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Terminals (Transportation) -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Transportation -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Trolley cars
- Henry L. Taylor visual arts materials of Atlanta Transit System, Inc.
- Finding aid produced by Kate Daly
- July 2020
- Description rules