Skip to main content

Allen Family Photographs

 Collection
Collection number: ahc.VIS104

Scope and Contents of the Records

The collection consists of images of family members and friends of the Allen, Inman, Richardson, and Grant families of Atlanta, Georgia. Most of the photographs of family members consist of images of Ivan Allen, Sr. and Ivan Allen, Jr. Included are photographs of Ivan Allen, Sr. at business meetings, civic and social events, and with friends and family. Photographs of Ivan Allen, Jr. include those from his childhood throughout his career as a businessman and mayor of Atlanta. Also included are photographs of employees and the buildings and grounds of the Ivan Allen Company and its predecessors, Fielder and Allen and Ivan Allen-Marshall Company. The collection also contains photographs of sites of importance to the Allen family in the state of Georgia, including the private residence of Ivan Allen, Sr., and that of Hugh Richardson, and the Little White House in Warm Springs, Georgia

Dates

  • 1840-1990, undated

Creator

General Physical Description note

Extent: 397 black and white and color photographic prints, 4 lithographs, 1 poster, 1 charcoal print (3 document cases, 3 oversized boxes)

Restrictions on Access

The collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.

Administrative History

The Georgia roots of the Allen family began shortly after the Civil War when Daniel "Earnest" Allen (1847-1879) of Greene County, Tennessee moved to Dalton, Georgia to work in a dry goods business. In 1870 he married Susie Harris (1859-1936) of Dalton and in 1876 they had a son, Isaac. After Earnest’s death, Susie renamed their son Ivan Earnest Allen. Ivan Allen (1876-1968) was a businessman and civic booster who moved to Atlanta in 1895 and co-founded his office supply company with entrepreneur James Fielder in 1900. The company changed owners in 1919 and became the Ivan Allen-Marshall Company, and later the Ivan Allen Company. He and his wife Irene Beaumont (1890-1972) gave birth to a son, Ivan in 1911. Ivan Allen, Jr. (1911-2003) served as president of the Ivan Allen Company and also as mayor of Atlanta from 1962-1970. Allen is credited with leading Atlanta through an era of significant economic growth while maintaining relative calm during the civil rights movement. Allen married Louise Richardson (1917- ), the granddaughter of Atlanta businessman Hugh T. Inman (1846-1910) in 1936. Hugh T. Inman married Margaret Josephine Van Dyke (1849-1920) in 1871 and together they bore five children: Annie (1872-1955), Josephine (1875-1963), Hugh, Jr. (1879- 1881), Edward (1881-1931), and Louise (1883-1888). Annie Inman married John William Grant (1867-1938) in 1893, and Josephine married Hugh Richardson (1874-1951) in 1898. For more complete genealogies on the Allen, Inman, Grant, and Richardson families, please refer to Pomerantz and Galloway.

Extent

423 image(s)

Arrangement of the Papers

This collection is arranged in three series: Series 1) Family Members and Friends; Series 2) Ivan Allen Company; Series 3) Geographic Locations

Acquisition Information

Gift of Louise Allen, 1973 (1973.201); 1986 (1986.245); 1991 (1991.105); 1992 (1992.049); 1994 (1994.069, 1994.371); 1997 (1997.100)

Related Archival Materials

Allen family papers, MSS 1014, Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center

General Physical Description note

Extent: 397 black and white and color photographic prints, 4 lithographs, 1 poster, 1 charcoal print (3 document cases, 3 oversized boxes)

Processing Information

Collection reprocessed in 2007.

Creator

Title
Allen Family Photographs
Subtitle
An Inventory of Their Photographs at the Kenan Research Center of the Atlanta History Center
Author
Paul Crater
Language of description
Finding aid written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040