Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Collection number: ahc.VIS104
Scope and Contents of the Records The collection consists of images of family members and friends of the Allen, Inman, Richardson, and Grant families of Atlanta, Georgia. Most of the photographs of family members consist of images of Ivan Allen, Sr. and Ivan Allen, Jr. Included are photographs of Ivan Allen, Sr. at business meetings, civic and social events, and with friends and family. Photographs of Ivan Allen, Jr. include those from his childhood throughout his career as a businessman and mayor of Atlanta. Also included are...
Collection number: ahc.MSS789f
Scope and Content This collection primarily consists of telegrams sent to Alton Bowie Reddick, Jr. (1920-2009) in regards to the Time Capsule Committee project. Telegrams were sent from Ralph McGill (1898-1969), Mayor William B. Hartsfield (1890-1971), and Collett E. Woolman (1899-1966), with predictions of Atlanta's growth and development between 1959 and 1998. There are also newspaper clippings with predictions of urban growth in every city and county in Georgia between 1959 and 2033.
Collection number: ahc.VIS265
Scope and Content This collection is comprised of images of the historic Midtown area in Atlanta, Georgia. The photographs were taken for draft nomination on the National Register of Historic Places for Midtown. Included are photos of churches, Henry Grady High School, stores and businesses, street scapes, apartments, and homes in the Midtown area. Types of homes photographed vary among bungalows, duplexes, row houses, carriage houses, alley dwellings, and cottages. Of special interest are photographs of the...
Collection number: ahc.MSS162
Scope and Content The collection is a mixture of newspaper clippings and magazine articles pertaining primarily to Georgia writers. The clippings and articles include book reviews, speaking engagements, and life events for each author. Some of the authors included in the collection are Wright Bryan, Caroline Miller, Joel Chandler Harris, Flannery O’Connor, Corbett H. Thigpen, Nunnally Johnson, Carson McCullers, Ralph McGill, and Medora Field Perkerson. There are also files pertaining to topics that influenced...
Collection number: ahc.VIS148
Scope and Contents of the Records This collection of photographs, taken by Harold J. Terhune, depicts the christening and launch of the S.S. Henry W. Grady on October 22, 1943 in Brunswick, Georgia during World War II. The Henry W. Grady was a liberty ship. Included are photographs of the christening of the ship, the launch of the ship to sea, and various speakers and guests, including Mrs. Henry W. Grady III (sponsor) with son Henry W. Grady IV, Mrs. Eugene Black (co-sponsor) and Michael Black, Mrs. Frederica Ward, and Atlanta...
Collection number: ahc.MSS884f
Scope and Content This essay "Extraordinary People: All Saints' and the Civil Rights Movement" was delivered to the congregation of All Saints' Episcopal Church. In it Miller discusses how three parishioners; Elbert Tuttle, a judge and the chief judge of the United States 5th Circuit Court of Appeals; Ralph McGill, a columnist, editor, and publisher of The Atlanta Journal Constitution; and Reverend Frank Ross, the senior minister at the All Saints' Episcopal Church,...
- Names: McGill, Ralph X
- African Americans -- Segregation -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- Architecture, domestic -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- Atlanta (Ga.) -- Politics and government 1
- Automobiles -- 1910-1920 1
- Birthday parties -- 1950-1960 1
- Chastain Park (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- City planning -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- Civil rights -- Georgia 1
- Civil rights -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- Civil rights movements -- Georgia -- Atlanta -- History -- 20th century 1
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.) 1
- Construction -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- Fort Mountain State Park 1
- Fraternities & sororities -- Georgia -- Atlanta -- 1930-1940 1
- Historic buildings -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- Horseback riding -- 1940-1950 1
- Liberty ships -- United States 1
- Midtown (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Peachtree Street (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Political campaigns -- Georgia -- 1960-1970 1
- Political posters -- Georgia -- Atlanta -- 1960-1970 1
- Politics, Practical -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- Segregation -- Georgia 1
- Time capsules -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- Warm Springs (Ga.) 1
- Weddings -- Georgia -- Atlanta -- 1890-1900 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Naval operations, American 1 ∧ less