Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 114
Collection number: ahc.MSS438f
Scope and Content This collection contains a photocopy of a handwritten document "Condensed History of the Campaigns of the 3rd Regiment of Georgia Volunteer Infantry," by Charles H. Andrews.
Dates: approximately 1885
Collection number: ahc.MSS220f
Scope and Content This collection includes correspondence, lists, and reminiscences about the Civil War, primarily surrounding the service of Colonel A. J. McBride of the 10th Georgia Regiment. The collection includes an 1864 letter regarding his promotion, and several letters written to him on the subject of war time experiences and post war life. The collection also includes a manuscript by L. L. Cochran of Alabama titled "The Tenth Georgia Regiment at Gettysburg."
Collection number: ahc.MSS39f
Scope and Content This collection contains two diaries of Abigail M. Brooks, which date from 1865 and 1870 along with typed transcriptions of both. In addition, there is an invitation to attend church which dates from 1858. In the 1865 diary, Brooks describes life in rural Tennessee, near Nashville, where she teaches in a one room school house. Later in the year, Abigail moves to Edgefield, Tennessee, also near Nashville, and starts her own school. She describes life in Edgefield, trials with her students, the...
Collection number: ahc.MSS684f
Scope and Content The collection contains twenty-three letters written by Corporal Alfred Rolf to his parents and brother in Quebec. Between June and September 1864, Rolf traveled through northwestern Georgia, writing from Lost Mountain, Marietta and at a location described as “Chavotia River.” He wrote that he was wounded during fighting on July 28, 1864, was captured and escaped. In April 1865, he wrote from Raleigh, North Carolina and mentioned the surrender of General Robert E. Lee to General Ulysses S....
Collection number: ahc.MSS237f
Scope and Contents of the Records The collection consists of typed transcripts of Private Miller’s daily diary and letters to his family during his time as a soldier. The letters and diary chronicles the 12th regiment’s march from Wisconsin through Tennessee and Alabama and into Georgia. His papers provide detailed descriptions of the towns and countryside through which he travelled and include observations on the daily activities of soldiers, such as training and foraging, as well as comments on the weather and the general...
Dates: 1864 - 1865
Collection number: ahc.MSS645
Scope and Contents of the Records This is a collection of documents, most of which chronicle the history of the American Civil War, particularly the Atlanta Campaign. In addition, there are several documents which reflect the history of the Antebellum South, including African American slavery. The collection includes letters, diaries, special orders, pardons, requisitions, poems, pamphlets, newspapers, personal narratives, biographies, circulars, broadsides, muster rolls, currency, bibles, research papers, and other private...
Dates: 1832-1935, undated
Collection number: ahc.MSS1103
Scope and Content This collection contains correspondence, newspapers, reports, and documents pertaining to the Atlanta Cyclorama and Civil War Museum, the history of the Atlanta Campaign of 1864, and the history of the Battle of Atlanta painting. Documents contained within this collection pertain to the maintenance and restoration of the painting as well as operation of the museum. These materials include correspondence between museum executives and conservators, office memos, research, narration scripts, and...
Dates: 1847-2013, undated; Majority of material found within 1963 - 2013
Collection number: ahc.MSS681f
Scope and Content The letters from Martin Barkley and George R. Barkley to their family members at the beginning of the war describe the hard living conditions, the health and wellbeing of the soldiers. Towards the end of the war the letters describe the demoralized attitudes of the soldiers, the regular occurrence of soldiers deserting their duties, and the significant loss of life. The letter from Edward King to his aunt, Elizabeth Barkley describes the hardships towards the end of the war.
Collection number: ahc.MSS359f
Scope and Content This collection contains transcriptions and copies of two letters from Wagner, a soldier in the 2nd Battery, Heavy Artillery, Conderate States Army, to Emma Dasher regarding events associated with the Atlanta Campaign in July 1864.
Collection number: ahc.MSS179f
Scope and Content This collection contains Benjamin T. Hunter's diary, in which he wrote extensively about the weather, his school, hunting, Civil War battles, drilling and camp life with the local militia, the cost of items he had purchased, and various activities he pursued in his workshop. Also included are military documents in which Hunter is ordered to arrest deserters. There are letters from J. DeWitt Burkhead regarding a teaching position in Athens, Georgia. The collection also contains papers related...
Collection number: ahc.MSS760
Scope and Content These papers consist of correspondence, legal documents, and scrapbooks.
Dates: 1837-1926, undated
Collection number: ahc.VIS287
Scope and Content This collection contains images of members of the Bomar and Killian family and their close friends. It also contains images of Atlanta street scenes from the early 19th and mid 20th centuries.
Dates: 1846-1921, undated
Collection number: ahc.MSS673f
Scope and Content This collection consists of a letter written by Bruce Elmore on July 29, 1864, near Atlanta, Georgia, to his wife, Libbie. The letter provides a firsthand description of the Atlanta Campaign, describing sharpshooter fire, changes in Union leadership after the death of General James McPherson, and an attack involving the 15th, 16th, and 17th Corps. He also thanks his wife for the cigars she sent, asks about the farm, and expresses the hope that he will soon send money home.
Dates: 1864 July 29
Collection number: ahc.MSS169f
Scope and Content This collection contains transcriptions and photostats of two Civil War letters written in Atlanta, Georgia by Captain Evan P. Howell to his wife. The first letter, written on July 28, 1864, states that there is light fighting during the day and Yankee attacks on the city each night. He also informs her that one of his grandfather’s slaves has joined him and is now taking care of him. The next letter, written on August 4, 1864, discusses the heavy fire he is experiencing, his health, and the...
Collection number: ahc.MSS29f
Scope and Content This collection contains four items including an original diary kept by Carrie Berry from 1864-1866; an original diary kept by her from 1868-1874; a friendship book published in 1870, which is titled Mental Photographs an Album for Confessions or Tastes, Habits, and Convictions; and a letter written to Carrie Berry and Blanche Hardin from Clement A. Evans dated 2 February 1872, which was written while Carrie was a student at the North Georgia Female Academy. In the diary kept from 1864-1866,...
Dates: 1864-1874; 1897
Collection number: ahc.MSS24
Scope and Content These papers consist of some personal and business papers of Cecil A. Alexander, 1907-1918, consisting of correspondence, purchase and tax notes, pamphlets, and others. Additionally, there is a memoir written by Rebecca Ella Solomons Alexander, 1854-1935.
Collection number: ahc.MSS723f
Scope and Content This collection consists of six letters written by Charles R. Pomeroy, Jr. to his family while serving in Company A, 33rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry during the Atlanta Campaign of the Civil War. Five are addressed to his sister and one to his father. The letters describe conditions faced by Union soldiers during the campaign including the lack of adequate shelter from the weather; the difficulties they experience while trying to flank Confederate forces; the exhaustion brought on by almost...
Dates: 1864, undated
Collection number: ahc.MSS96f
Scope and Contents of the Records This collection contains the transcriptions of three letters written during the Civil War by Colin Dunlop. The first letter was written to his sister on April 13, 1864 at a Confederate Army camp near Dalton, Georgia. Within the letter, he mentions that he has no access to news due to the newspaper strike in Atlanta, and gives his sister updates on his health. He also asks her to give his regards to other family members and friends. The second letter to his sister was written on August 13, 1864...
Dates: 1864, 1945
Collection number: ahc.MSS109
Scope and Content The collection includes five bound volumes of Cornelius Hanleiter’s war diary from 1861 – 1865, along with correspondence, including a letter from Confederate Vice President Alexander Stephens. The collection also contains sketches of Hanleiter’s outpost in Savannah, and other documents relating to his service in the Army of the Confederacy. Also included are newspaper clippings pertaining to the careers of C.R. Hanleiter, Lemuel P. Grant, Colonel Tom Harvard, Anton L. Kontz, and Jonathan...
Dates: 1825-1944, undated, (bulk 1861-1865)
Collection number: ahc.MSS76
Scope and Content This collection contains correspondence, memoirs, military records, diaries, and newspaper clippings relating to the Crumley and Berry families of Atlanta, Georgia. Correspondence from William Greg Crumley to his parents includes letters, telegrams and postcards written while he was stationed in France, England and Belgium during World War I. He described personal illnesses, travels during leave, and the duties of a medical officer. He noted how to care for soldiers who had been exposed to...
Dates: 1864-1921, undated
- Subject: United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives X
- Johnston, Joseph E. (Joseph Eggleston), 1807-1891 6
- Sherman, William T. (William Tecumseh), 1820-1891 6
- Lee, Robert E., (Robert Edward), 1807-1870 5
- Georgia. Militia 4
- Atlanta Cyclorama (Atlanta, Ga.) 3
- Avary, Myrta Lockett 2
- Bomar family 2
- Bomar, Benjamin F. 2
- Bomar, Thomas 2
- Carnegie, Andrew 2
- Confederate States of America. Army 2
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Infantry Regiment, 7th 2
- Davidson family 2
- Grant, Lemuel Pratt 2
- Grant, Ulysses S. (Ulysses Simpson), 1822-1885 2
- Harris, Joel Chandler, 1848-1908 2
- Hood, John Bell 2
- Killian family 2
- Kurtz, Wilbur G. (Wilbur George), 1882-1967 2
- United Daughters of the Confederacy 2
- United States. Army of the Cumberland 2
- United States. Navy 2
- Wren's Nest (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Alexander, Cecil A., 1918-2013 1
- Alexander, Rebecca Ella Solomons, 1854-1938 1
- Allen, Dwight S., 1843-1908 1
- Andersonville Prison 1
- Andervount, Jacob 1
- Andrews, Charles H. (Charles Haynes), 1835-1905 1
- Andrews, Lewis H. 1
- Anthony, Mark 1
- Atlanta (Ga.). Department of Parks and Recreation 1
- Atlanta Cyclorama & Civil War Museum. 1
- Atlanta Historical Society 1
- Atlanta Manufacturers' Improvement Co. (Ga.) 1
- Atlanta Pioneer Women's Society 1
- Atlanta Public Library 1
- Atlanta Public Library. Ida Williams Branch 1
- Atlanta and West Point Rail Road Company 1
- Bachtell, Samuel 1
- Baker, Irene Trenholm 1
- Baptist Banner (Newspaper) 1
- Barkley family 1
- Barnes, L.H. 1
- Barnett, John 1
- Barrington Hall (Roswell, Ga.) 1
- Beck, Henry, 1839-1905 1
- Beck, Lucy (Louisa Heller), 1846-1891 1
- Bell family 1
- Bell, James L. 1
- Berry, Carrie, 1854-1921 1
- Black, Hugh 1
- Black, Nellie Peters, 1851-1919 1
- Bomar, Thomas Haynes 1
- Booream, David S. 1
- Brandon, H. L. 1
- Brooks, Abbie M. 1
- Brown family 1
- Brown, Joseph E. (Joseph Emerson), 1821-1894 1
- Bryant, James L., 1841- 1
- Bulloch Hall (Roswell, Ga.) 1
- Burke, William, 1822-1895 1
- Burns, Walter S. 1
- Caho, John A., 1837-1865 1
- Callaway, W. A. 1
- Campbell family 1
- Campbell, Robert Memminger 1
- Carnegie Library of Atlanta 1
- Carr, Robert 1
- Carr, Virginia 1
- Carter, Laura E. 1
- Carter, Mary A. 1
- Civil War Centennial Commission of Illinois 1
- Civil War Round Table, Atlanta 1
- Cobb, Howell 1
- Cole, James W. 1
- Cole, John B. 1
- Coleman, E. 1
- Coleman, Thomas M. (soldier) 1
- Collins, Ellis 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Alabama Infantry Regiment, 5th, Company D 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Alabama Infantry Regiment, 60th 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Cobb's Legion 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Infantry Regiment, 14th 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Infantry Regiment, 15th. Company H 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Infantry Regiment, 1st (1861-1862) 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Infantry Regiment, 1st (1861-1865) 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Infantry Regiment, 22nd. Company K 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Infantry Regiment, 38th. Company C 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Infantry Regiment, 3rd 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Infantry Regiment, 4th 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Infantry Regiment, 4th. Company H 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Infantry Regiment, 53rd 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Infantry Regiment, 6th 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Infantry Regiment, 8th 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Volunteers, 14th 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Volunteers, 63rd 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. North Carolina Infantry Regiment, 39th 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Sharpshooter Battalion, 4th 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. South Carolina Infantry Regiment, 18th 1 ∧ less