Antebellum and Civil War Collection
Collection number: ahc.MSS645
Scope and Contents of the Records
This is a collection of documents, most of which chronicle the history of the American Civil War, particularly the Atlanta Campaign. In addition, there are several documents which reflect the history of the Antebellum South, including African American slavery. The collection includes letters, diaries, special orders, pardons, requisitions, poems, pamphlets, newspapers, personal narratives, biographies, circulars, broadsides, muster rolls, currency, bibles, research papers, and other private papers, publications, and government documents.
- 1832-1935, undated
Restrictions on Access
This collection is open for research.
Restrictions on Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.
Administrative History of
Antebellum is a Latin expression meaning "before war." In the context of United States history it is commonly used to refer to the period before the Civil War. The Civil War, also known as the War Between the States and several other names was fought between 1861-1865 after eleven slave states seceded from the United States and formed the Confederate States of America. The war ended when Confederate General Robert E. Lee surrendered to Union General Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox Court House in Virginia on April 12, 1865.
1.5 linear ft.
Arrangement of the Papers
This collection is arranged in three series: (1) Correspondence, 1856-1865, undated; (2) Government Documents, 1860-1935, undated; (3) Private Papers and Publications, 1832-1935, undated. Folders are arranged chronologically within each series.
General Physical Description note
Extent: 1.5 cubic ft. (3 document boxes and 1 oversize box, 156 documents)
America's Turning Point: Documenting the Civil War Experience in Georgia received support from a Digitizing Historical Records grant awarded to the Atlanta History Center, Georgia Historical Society, Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, and the Digital Library of Georgia by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
Collection reprocessed in 2008.
- Andervount, Jacob
- Atlanta Campaign, 1864
- Baptist Banner (Newspaper)
- Bounty hunters -- Georgia
- Brandon, H. L.
- Cobb, Howell
- Collins, Ellis
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Infantry Regiment, 1st (1861-1865)
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Infantry Regiment, 6th
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Infantry Regiment, 7th
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Volunteers, 14th
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Volunteers, 63rd
- Confederate States of America. Army. Sharpshooter Battalion, 4th
- Copeland, Stephan W.
- Cox, John C.
- Davis, Larkin
- Georgia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives
- Georgia. Militia -- History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Githins, Will H.
- Grant, Lemuel Pratt
- Harris, Volney S.
- Horsley, William
- Johns, Ephram H.
- Jones, E. W.
- Lee, Robert E., (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- Leyden, Austin
- Linscott, Harry
- Lockman, John
- McCall, E. H.
- McCay, C. F. (Charles Francis)
- McKay, Philip
- Mercer, John J.
- Mitchell, William A.
- Morgan, John Hunt
- Morlan, J. A.
- Rawson, E. E.
- Richards, Samuel P.
- Rogers, J. H.
- Rogers, William H. H.
- Scarborough, Drury P.
- Sherman, William T. (William Tecumseh), 1820-1891
- Slavery -- Georgia -- History -- 19th century
- Slaves -- Georgia -- Fulton County
- Soldiers -- Georgia -- Correspondence
- Soldiers friend (Newspaper)
- Stanley, Henry S.
- Terry, Carlisle
- Thib, S. C.
- Thomas, Charles W.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives
- United States. Army. Connecticut Infantry Regiment, 20th (1862-1865)
- United States. Army. Illinois Infantry Regiment, 107th (1862-1865)
- United States. Army. Illinois Infantry Regiment, 42nd (1862-1865)
- United States. Army. Illinois Infantry Regiment, 78th (1862-1865)
- United States. Army. Infantry. Ohio Regiment, 80th
- United States. Army. New York Cavalry Regiment, 8th (1861-1865)
- United States. Army. New York Infantry Regiment, 119th (1862-1865)
- United States. Army. New York Infantry Regiment, 136th (1862-1865)
- Vickers, L. E.
- Ward, William S.
- White, Cynthia
- White, J. R.
- Woodworth, Edwin C.
- ANTEBELLUM AND CIVIL WAR COLLECTION ahc.MSS 645
- An Inventory of Their Records at the Kenan Research Center of the Atlanta History Center
- Inventory prepared by Paul Crater
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.