Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 20
Collection number: ahc.MSS854
Scope and Content This collection contains many of Alex Hitz's business and personal papers. Included are sociel security records, tax return, military records, and general business papers, both private practice and city commission. Hitz also assembled a "Compilation of the State's Grantees to All Land Lots in Fulton County." A family history and genealogy records are also included. The collection also contains Hitz's collection of programs from various Atlanta Theaters.
Collection number: ahc.MSS1068
Scope and Content This collection includes legal documents, genealogical materials, and personal and legal correspondence pertaining to the wills and trusts of members of the Alston family and the family's "home place" in Barbour County, Alabama. Also of interest are materials relating to a visit to Atlanta in 1941 by Edward Frederick Lindley Wood, 1st Earl Halifax, the British ambassador to the United States, as well as the Alston family genealogy, which includes two large parchment indentures made out to...
Collection number: ahc.VIS236
Scope and Content This collection consists of an ambrotype, cabinet card, photographic postcard, and portrait prints of the Alston family of Georgia and Alabama. Also included is a VHS tape, "Family Name," directed by Macky Alston, and a DVD, "Slavery by Another Name." Most of the photographs are unidentified family members and all are undated. Included is an 8 x 13 inch portrait print of Philip H. Alston Sr. Of note are photographs of Philip H. Alston Sr., his wife May Lewis Alston, and their children at...
Collection number: ahc.MSS1028
Scope and Content The papers consist of articles, advertisements, books, datebooks, legal documents, professional records, and personal correspondence of the Avary and Stephens families. There are articles from the Atlanta Journal Constitution and various magazines throughout the 1920's covering topics such as movie costumes, filet crochet, floor plans, and women's sports. Advertisements include a circular for Thomas Edison's phonograph acquired from the 1904 Louisiana Purchase...
Collection number: ahc.VIS360
Scope and Content This collection documents the political life of Charles Longstreet Weltner and the built landscape of Atlanta, Georgia, in the 1950s and 1960s. Film footage highlights a variety of Weltner's campaign activities including him walking on the sidewalk through a blighted Atlanta neighborhood; Weltner looking over the city of Atlanta from the top of the Merchandise Mart; and scenes most likely used for campaign ads. Included are street scenes of downtown Atlanta, with views of public and private...
Collection number: ahc.MSS390f
Scope and Content This collection contains three letters from the Cox family. Two letters were written by O.W. Cox and Helen Cox to William Markham and Sarah Bartlett, in 1848 and 1849, respectively. In one document permission is granted to Thomas H. Cox and Andrew Moore to practice law in Georgia. The third letter was written by Kitte M. Cox and send to a cousin. In addition, the collection contains a typescript of a letter to Thomas Cox from this father Colonel Oliver Cox. The letter contains genealogical...
Collection number: ahc.MSS349
Scope and Content This collection includes the professional papers of Hamilton Lokey which document his career as an attorney. Personal papers include correspondence, speeches and addresses given during his career in the Georgia General Assembly, as well as a copy of his autobiography The Low Key Life of Ham Lokey and several poems he wrote. The majority of the collection includes court records compiled as a result of litigation against the proprietors of the Winecoff Hotel in Atlanta.
Collection number: ahc.MSS476
Scope and Content This collection contains certificates issued to Henry Alexander to plead and practice before the United States Supreme Court and the Supreme Court of the state of Georgia and membership and charter from the American Legion for Fulton County, Post Department of Georgia No. 134.
Collection number: ahc.MSS279
Scope and Content This collection contains six scrapbooks, newspaper clippings, and ephemeral materials. Of particular interest is a copy of the speech by Dorsey to Governor Slaton in response to the motion to dismiss filed in behalf of Leo M. Frank.
Collection number: ahc.MSS767
Scope and Content This collections includes a diary, newspaper clippings, legal papers, and letters.
Collection number: ahc.MSS98
Scope and Content This collection contains personal and professional correspondence as well as legal documents belonging to John Marion Graham, an attorney who practiced in Georgia. Among the legal documents are indentures, briefs, wills, leases, property deeds, and insurance papers. The collection also includes financial records, copies of speeches given by Graham, and a copy of the charter of the Marietta Golf Club.
Collection number: ahc.MSS203
Scope and Content This collection includes correspondence and financial documents involving Joseph S. Reynolds and his family. Reynolds correspondents mostly included mortgage brokers, attorneys, property managers, and insurance agents in Georgia and several Southeastern and Midwestern states. The content of these typed letters relate to the maintenance, finance, and sale of Mr. Reynolds properties. Included among the letters is a business proposition from H.A. Etheridge of Atlanta, who was seeking investors in...
Collection number: ahc.MSS1098
Scope and Content This collection contains correspondence, booklets, and newspapers, the majority of which were collected by, or pertain to, the life and work of Madison Bell. The correspondence spans Bell's adult life; most are addressed from family and friends. Documents relate to his family and his career. The booklets pertain to Georgia law, Bell himself, and Georgia's secession from the Union. Items of particular note are a muster roll from the 30th Georgia Cavalry Battalion, posters advertising property...
Collection number: ahc.MSS434
Scope and Content This collection is comprised of three scrapbooks that primarily contain newspaper clippings, photographs, and programs related to club activities.
Collection number: ahc.MSS773f
Scope and Content This collection contains material from Smith's professional activities. Items include correspondence, warranty deeds, loan documents, bills of sale, legal documents, and promissory notes.
Collection number: ahc.MSS491
Scope and Content This collection contains court records and reference materials. Included in the collection is a series of speeches, correspondence, association materials, and an extensive series of articles. There is also Fulton County, Georgia files and marriage certificate records.
Collection number: ahc.MSS1110
Scope and Content This collection contains material collected by and about Tom Watson Brown. There are reviews and critiques of the television documentary The Murder of Mary Phagan that aired on NBC in 1988; speeches given by Brown at the Confederate Memorial Day service in Stone Mountain, Georgia in 1978, and about the Leo Frank trial, given in 1982; and an assortment of tickets from sporting and entertainment events primarily from the Atlanta area.
Collection number: ahc.MSS205
Scope and Content The majority of this collection includes monthly invoices, bills and other financial transactions initiated by Sarah Tucker after the death of her husband, Henry Holcombe Tucker. Almost all of the transactions involved businesses in downtown Atlanta. The collection provides insight into the lifestyle and monthly financial responsibilities of a wealthy widow in Atlanta during the 1890s. Included among Ms. Tucker’s purchases are groceries, dry goods, building supplies, labor, utility bills,...
Collection number: ahc.MSS703f
Scope and Content This collection consists of a legal document in which William B. Robinson of Tuscaloosa, Alabama, appoints John M. Boving as his attorney to act on his behalf to investigate the seizure, cutting and taking, of his timber from land belonging to him in the neighborhood of Atlanta and prosecute the responsible party which was the Confederate States of America.
Collection number: ahc.MSS351f
Scope and Content This collection contains an account book containing entries for the Atlanta law firms of Lester and Thomson (1871-1874) and Chandler and Thomson (1874-1888). The collection also contains a letter from G. C. Gordon to William Thomson for a dinner honoring Atlanta's 400 first telephone subscribers; typed recollections of Thomson of his childhood, and a summons to appear in a Fulton County court.
- Subject: Lawyers -- Georgia -- Atlanta X
- Alston family. 2
- Alston, Philip H., Sr. (Philip Henry), 1880-1962 2
- Atlanta Water Works (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Frank, Leo, 1884-1915 2
- George Muse Clothing Company (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Grady Memorial Hospital (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Alexander, Henry A. (Henry Aaron), 1874-1967 1
- Alston, A. H. (Augustus Holmes), 1847-1918 1
- Alston, Anna Ott, 1845-1928 1
- Alston, Cotten (Robert Cotten, III), 1945- 1
- Alston, Philip H., Jr., 1911-1988 1
- Alston, Robert C. (Robert Cotten), 1873-1938 1
- Alston, Robert C., II, 1917-1979 1
- American Legion Fulton County Post 134 (Fulton County, Ga.) 1
- Atlanta Braves (Baseball team) 1
- Atlanta Chamber of Commerce 1
- Atlanta Falcons. (Football team) 1
- Atlanta Gas Light Company 1
- Atlanta Lumber Company (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Atlanta Machine Works (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Atlanta Marble Works (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Atlanta Municipal Auditorium (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Atlanta Opera 1
- Atlanta Symphony Orchestra 1
- Avary family 1
- Avary, Janie Stephens, 1868-1937 1
- Avary, Mary Pierce, 1912-2004 1
- Avary, Robert Lee, 1863-1939 1
- Avary, Robert Lee, 1903-1989 1
- Avary, Stephens Archer 1
- Barker and Holleman (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Barry Family 1
- Bell, Madison 1
- Brown, Tom Watson, 1933-2007 1
- Burns Manufacturing Company (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Camp, Thomas L. (Thomas Lee), Judge 1
- Carter and Gillespie (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Chamberlain, Johnson and Company (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Chandler and Thomson (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Chattahoochee Brick Company (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Cole and Gentry Electric Company (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Cavalry Battalion (30th) 1
- Constitution Publishing Company (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Cox family 1
- Davis, Jefferson, 1808-1889 1
- Davison Paxon Stokes Company (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Democratic Party (Ga.) 1
- Dohme and Corrigan Grocery Company (Atlanta, Ga.). 1
- Dorsey, Hugh Manson 1
- East Atlanta Auto Repair Company (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Elkin, Watson Drug Company (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Fitten-Thompson Hardware Company (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Ford Plumbing and Heating Company (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Forest View Dairy Farm (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Fruitland Nurseries (Augusta, Ga.) 1
- Georgia Institute of Technology. Bobby Dodd Stadium 1
- Georgia Railway & Power Company 1
- Georgia. Supreme Court 1
- Graham, John Marion, 1859-1935 1
- Guimarin, Engles and Stockton (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Hanna family 1
- Harrison, Benjamin 1
- Hines, Cora McBride 1
- Hines, James Kolloch, 1852-1932 1
- Hitz Family 1
- Hitz, Alex M. (Alex Mayer) 1
- Hoover, J. Edgar (John Edgar) 1
- J.C. Bridger Coal Company (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Joint Stock Grocery Company (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Keely Company (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Kennedy, Edward M. (Edward Moore) 1
- King Hardware Company (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Lawson Family 1
- Lester and Thomson (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Loew's Grand Theatre (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Lokey, Hamilton 1
- M. Rich and Bros. (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Marietta Golf Club (Marietta, Ga.) 1
- Marshall's Pharmacy (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Merchandise Mart (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Mitchell, Carolyn Louis Reynolds 1
- Old War Horse Lawyers Club (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Phoenix Planning Mill (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Potts-Thompson Liquor Company (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Purity Ice Works (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Rauschenberg Market Company (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Reynolds and Whitman (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Reynolds family 1
- Reynolds, Joseph S. 1
- Rich Brothers Company (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Robinson, William B. 1
- Second Baptist Church (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Slaton, John M. 1
- Smith, Robert H. 1
- Southern Express Company (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Southern Mutual Insurance Company (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Standard Ice Company (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Stephens family 1
- Stephens, Alexander William 1
- Stephens, Andrew Baskin 1 ∧ less