Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Scope and Content The collection contains twenty-three letters written by Corporal Alfred Rolf to his parents and brother in Quebec. Between June and September 1864, Rolf traveled through northwestern Georgia, writing from Lost Mountain, Marietta and at a location described as “Chavotia River.” He wrote that he was wounded during fighting on July 28, 1864, was captured and escaped. In April 1865, he wrote from Raleigh, North Carolina and mentioned the surrender of General Robert E. Lee to General Ulysses S....
Scope and Content This collection contains twenty-six cartes de visite of Confederate generals and politicians. Generals include Robert E. Lee, Joseph E. Johnston, Stonewall Jackson, and Nathan Bedford Forrest among others. Politicians include images of President Jefferson Davis and Vice President Alexander Stephens as a young man. There is also an image of Emperor Napoleon III of France.
Scope and Contents of the Records This collection contains the transcriptions of three letters written during the Civil War by Colin Dunlop. The first letter was written to his sister on April 13, 1864 at a Confederate Army camp near Dalton, Georgia. Within the letter, he mentions that he has no access to news due to the newspaper strike in Atlanta, and gives his sister updates on his health. He also asks her to give his regards to other family members and friends. The second letter to his sister was written on August 13, 1864...
Dates: 1864, 1945
Scope and Content This collection contains letters written by David G. Godwin to his wife and to an unidentified individual called "Dr. G." He writes about the secession of Tennessee, the fall of Fort Henry, Tennessee, troop movements, skirmishes with the enemy, sickness among the soldiers, religious revivals in the camp, his thoughts on soldiers and deserters, camp life, and the removal of General Joseph E. Johnson from command.
Dates: 1861-1864, undated
Scope and Content This collection contains images collected by the DuBose family. Subjects include military personnel, battlefields, and the U. S. Civil War era. Photographic formats include ambrotypes, cartes de visite, cabinet cards, daguerreotypes, drawings, engravings, ivorytypes, photographs, tintypes, albumen prints, and photographic albums. There are also photographic images with drawn enhancements, one of a young soldier and another of an older man. These images document the United States Civil War. ...
Dates: 1840-1870, undated
Scope and Content This collection consists of a letter from General Joseph E. Johnston to General Thomas C. Hindman. Johnston asks for a brief account of the fighting at "the gap" and "Crow Valley" and about significant attacks by General William T. Sherman in order to write a book about the military operations of the Civil War.
Dates: 1867 October 21
Scope and Content This collection contains two transcribed letters. The first letter of the collection was written by Hosea Garrett, Jr. to his uncle, Reverend Hosea Garrett, on August 1, 1864. This letter provides a detailed account of the Atlanta Campaign, and the fighting that occurred on July 27, 1864. In his account, Garrett notes that not only were Confederate troops far outnumbered, but General Walker was also killed early in the battle, making the troops disorganized and ineffective. Due to their lack of...
Scope and Content This collection contains transcriptions of letters from Confederate soldier J.W. Speir to his wife. He writes about camp conditions, fighting around Atlanta, hospital conditions, and their children.
- Names: Johnston, Joseph E. (Joseph Eggleston), 1807-1891 X
- Atlanta Campaign, 1864 3
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives 3
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives, Confederate 3
- Confederate States of America -- Armed Forces -- Uniforms. 2
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 2
- Camp Douglas (Ill.) 1
- Children -- 1860-1870 1
- Clothing and dress -- History -- 19th century 1
- Georgia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- Military uniforms 1
- Politicians -- 1860-1870 1
- Portrait photography 1
- United States -- Armed Forces -- Uniforms 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Battlefields 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Portraits 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Prisoners and prisons 1 ∧ less
- Hood, John Bell 3
- Beauregard, G. T. (Gustave Toutant), 1818-1893 2
- Davis, Jefferson, 1808-1889 2
- Lee, Robert E., (Robert Edward), 1807-1870 2
- Sherman, William T. (William Tecumseh), 1820-1891 2
- Bragg, Braxton 1
- Breckinridge, John C. (John Cabell) 1
- Confederate States of America. Army 1
- Demere, Jane Jones 1
- DuBose, Beverly M., 1918-1986 1
- DuBose, Beverly Means, 1886-1953 1
- Dubose, Beverly Means 1
- Dunlop, Colin 1
- Forrest, Nathan Bedford, 1821-1877 1
- Garrett, Hosea 1
- Garrett, Oliver Hazzard Perry 1
- Georgia. Militia 1
- Godwin, David G. 1
- Haas and Peale (Hilton Head, S. C.) 1
- Hampton, Wade 1
- Hindman, Thomas Carmichael 1
- Jackson, Stonewall 1
- Johnston, Albert Sidney 1
- Kirby-Smith, Edmund 1
- Longstreet, James 1
- Morgan, John Hunt 1
- Napoleon, Emperor of the French, III, 1808-1873 1
- Polk, Leonidas 1
- Rolf, Alfred 1
- Speir, J. W. 1
- Stephens, Alexander H. (Alexander Hamilton), 1812-1883 1
- Thompson, Meriwether Jeff 1
- Virginia Historical Society 1
- W. M. Oaks Gallery (Logan, Ohio) 1 ∧ less