Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Scope and Content This collection contains correspondence, contracts, and invoices for landscape work completed at the Memorial Garden at the Governor's Mansion. Also included are descriptions of stonework such as a limestone oval and a millstone. Of special interest are plant lists providing details of trees and shrubs used in the project.
Scope and Content This collection contains landscape plans for the Governor's Mansion Memorial Garden providing details of stone work, retaining walls, terraces, and benches. Drawings include identified trees, shrubs, and garden features.
Scope and Content This collection contains landscape drawings of mostly residential projects, but also includes some commercial properties and parks in Griffin and other Georgia cities. Drawings include general landscape plans and plant lists as well as plans for walls, foundation plantings, and traffic islands. Of special interest is Bell's 1940 senior thesis drawing of a country estate for his parents.
Dates: 1940-1994, undated
Scope and Content This collection contains articles, certificates, and handwritten notes from the professional career of J. Newton Bell. Also included in the collection are landscape architecture contract templates and plant resources such as catalogs and tree lists. Of special interest is a proclamation by the mayor of the City of Griffin, designating February 17, 2005 as J. Newton Bell, Jr. Day.
Dates: 1950-2005, undated
Scope and Content The majority of this collection contains correspondence, estimates, ledgers, proposals, and planting studies that provide a history of Julia O. Martin's career as principal of Julia O. Martin Landscape Design. Martin's resume and clippings offer details of her personal and professional life. Of special note are Martin's garden design sketches included in various planting studies.
Dates: 1937-1997, undated
Scope and Content This collection contains landscape drawings that provide details of the garden and landscape history at the Violet Bank estate in Griffin, Georgia. A planting plan by the C. A. Dahl Company shows the layout of the property including the house, driveway, and formal garden. Of note, this drawing erroneously cites Mrs. H. W. Barnes as Mrs. H. 'G.' Barnes. Also a part of the collection are garden sketches by an unknown landscape architect which provide plant variety names and describe trees, wooded...
Scope and Content This collection contains photographs and postcards which provide details of the personal, military, and professional career of Norman Butts in New York, France, and Georgia. Included are images of his early family life, college years at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, and landscaping projects in Atlanta, Georgia. Both Butts' work with Ashford Park Nurseries in Brookhaven and his own Atlanta landscaping business are represented. Of special interest are photographs of the gardens and...
Dates: 1880-1946, undated
- Gardens -- Design 5
- Landscape architects -- Georgia -- Atlanta. 4
- Landscape architecture -- Georgia -- Atlanta 4
- Formal gardens -- Design 2
- Gardens -- Georgia -- Atlanta 2
- Griffin (Ga.) 2
- Landscape architects -- Georgia -- Griffin 2
- Landscape architecture -- Georgia 2
- Landscape gardening -- Georgia -- Atlanta 2
- Trees -- Georgia 2
- Architecture -- Details 1
- Architecture, Domestic -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- Brookhaven (Ga.) 1
- Camp Lee (Va.) 1
- City planning 1
- Driveways -- Design and construction 1
- Gardens -- Design -- History 1
- Gardens -- Georgia 1
- Gardens -- Southern States 1
- Gardens -- Southern States -- History 1
- Griffin (Ga.) -- History 1
- Interior decoration -- Georgia 1
- Ithaca (N.Y.) 1
- Landscape architecture -- Designs and plans 1
- Landscape architecture -- Georgia -- Griffin 1
- Landscape architecture -- Southern States 1
- Landscape design -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- Landscape gardening -- Georgia 1
- Landscape gardening -- Georgia -- Griffin 1
- Landscape gardening -- Southern States 1
- Landscapes -- Georgia 1
- Landscapes -- New York (State) 1
- Nurseries (Horticulture) -- Georgia 1
- Nursery growers -- Georgia 1
- Poughkeepsie (N.Y.) 1
- Trees -- South Carolina 1
- Urban beautification -- Georgia -- Griffin 1
- Waterfalls -- New York (State) 1
- Women landscape architects -- Georgia 1 ∧ less
- Bell, J. Newton (Jewell Newton) 2
- Franklin, Daniel Berry 2
- Franklin-Smith Associates 2
- Georgia Governor's Mansion (Atlanta, Ga.). Memorial Garden 2
- Smith, William T. (William Tingle) 2