Skip to main content

Burns Club of Atlanta photographs

 Collection
Collection number: ahc.VIS286

Scope and Content

This collection consists of images of the Burns Club of Atlanta and Ladies' Burns Club members, as well as photographs of the Burns Cottage.

Dates

  • approximately 1910-1915, undated

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.

Administrative/Biographical History

The Burns Club of Atlanta was organized in 1896 as a social and literary club commemorating Scottish poet Robert Burns. In 1907 it was chartered as a "special literary and memorial society." Qualifications for membership were "good citizenship and admiration and love for the great poet." The club was governed by elected officials such as chairman of the board, president, vice president, treasurer, and secretary. Each year the club organized the "Burns Supper" to celebrate the poet's birthday on January 25. In 1911 the Burns Club built a replica of the original Burns Cottage for their club house in Ormewood Park, Atlanta, Georgia. Three years later the club became a member of the Burns Federation, an organization headquartered in Scotland. The Ladies' Burns Club was founded in 1937 with Mrs. W.F. Melton as the first chairman and dissolved in November 1984.

Extent

10 image(s) (seven black and white photographic prints and three sepia toned photographic prints)

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift, 1980

Related Archival Materials

Burns Club of Atlanta documents, MSS 433, Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center

General

VIS 286 was previously catalogued as BCA.

Description Control

This collection was reprocessed in 2018.
Title
Burns Club of Atlanta photographs
Status
In Process
Author
Felicia D. Render
Date
March 2018
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040