Stephen Goldfarb Photographs
Collection number: ahc.VIS151
Scope and Contents of the Records
The images in this collection depict locations in metropolitan Atlanta, including images of the central city, Roswell, and Stone Mountain. Images of Atlanta include buildings on Auburn Avenue such as Big Bethel Baptist Church, Ebenezer Baptist Church, a Fire Station, the King Center, Odd Fellows Building and Auditorium, the Prince Hall Masonic Building, Wheat Street Baptist Church, and the YMCA. Other locations in Atlanta include Excelsior Mills, a bank building and the Georgia Nut and Bolt Company building on Peters Street, and a “shotgun” house in Mechanicsville. Others images include Roswell’s Bulloch Hall, and historic houses near Stone Mountain. The collection also contains images of sculptures and murals commissioned by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) for the Butts County Post Office in Jackson, Georgia, the old Conyers Post Office (now located in the Rockdale County Historical Society), the old Decatur Post Office, and the Hapeville Post Office; another sculpture is also shown off of Techwood Avenue in Atlanta.
- circa 1979
- Goldfarb, Stephen J. (Person)
Restrictions on Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
Stephen J. Goldfarb is an Atlanta resident and retired employee of the Atlanta-Fulton Public Library. He holds a Ph.D. in the history of science and technology from Case Western Reserve University. He taught history at Spelman College in Atlanta, and has written scholarly articles on the Leo Frank Case, New Deal Art, and the technology of steam engines.
Arrangement of the Papers
This collection is alphabetical according to titles supplied by staff.
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
All of the items are located in cold storage (cs) as indicated in the descriptive inventory. Patrons must allow 24 hours after retrieval of cold storage item(s) before viewing material.
Gift of Stephen Goldfarb, 1979 (1979.004).
General Physical Description note
32 color transparencies
Collection processed in 2007.
- Atlanta (Ga.)
- Auburn Avenue (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Big Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Bulloch Hall (Roswell, Ga.)
- Church buildings -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Ebenezer Baptist Church (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Excelsior Mill (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Fire stations -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Freemasons. Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Georgia
- Georgia Nut and Bolt Company (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Kirkwood (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Mechanicsville (Atlanta, Ga.)
- New Deal, 1933-1939 -- Georgia
- Peters Street (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Pullman Yard (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Railroad facilities -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Roswell (Ga.)
- Stone Mountain (Ga.)
- Wheat Street Baptist Church (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Stephen Goldfarb Photographs, circa 1979ahc.VIS 151
- Inventory prepared by Paul Crater
- August 2009
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note