Skip to main content

Harry James Carr Houston Mill documents

 Collection
Collection number: ahc.MSS937f

Scope and Content

This collection contains notes and correspondence from Harry James Carr's daughter, Frances Anette Carr Kirby, brochures about the Houston Mill House, and deeds and insurance documents from Harry James Carr's Houston Mill property.

Dates

  • 1915-1988

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.

Administrative/Biographical History

Harry James Carr (1878-1958) was a contractor in Atlanta who owned H. J.Carr & Co. He was known for constructing Druid Hills High School and the old DeKalb County Courthouse. He purchased land from Major Houston on Houston Mill Road and Peachtree Creek in 1925 and build a house on the property, which Emory later purchased in 1960 and called Houston Mill House. Harry James Carr married Bonnie Carr (1883-1976) and they had three children: Frances Anette Carr Kirby (1922-2008), Harry Carr, Jr. (1917-1995), and Gladys Carr Connelly (1920-2014). Additional information about Henry James Carr has not been determined.

Extent

3 folder(s)

Language

English

System of Arrangement

This collection is arranged alphabetically according to titles supplied by staff.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift, 1998

Related Archival Materials

H.J. Carr & Co. photographs and postcard, VIS 3, James G. Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center.

Description Control

This collection was processed in 2019.
Title
Harry James Carr Houston Mill documents
Author
Rebecca Grieco
Date
December 2019
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040