Skip to main content

Confederate Soldier's Home of Georgia Register of Inmates

 Collection
Collection number: ahc.MSS7

Scope and Contents of the Records

The collection consists of over 700 typed pages of information about residents of the Confederate Soldier’s Home of Georgia. The list of inmates represented in this collection is not comprehensive. The information was copied from three registers kept at the Home between 1901 and 1941 and each page contains vital records and history of military service. Information about each veteran includes name, date and place of birth, unit and rank, date of capture, surrender, or injury, date of entry and discharge of the Home, health problems, death date and cause of death, and burial place. The date of the copies is unknown.

Dates

  • undated

Creator

Restrictions on Access

This collection is open for research.

Restrictions on Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.

Administrative/Biographical History

The Confederate Soldier's Home of Georgia was established in 1889 for the protection and care of Georgia veterans of the Civil War. Funded by private donations, the Board of Directors (led by newspaper editor Henry Grady) purchased a tract of land on Confederate Avenue just outside the Atlanta city limits where a Gothic style wooden structure was built to house residents. The home was completed in 1890 but did not open until 1900 due to lack of funds.The state of Georgia acquired the property in 1900 and it finally opened in 1901. However, on September 27 of that year, a fire completely destroyed the home and all its contents. A new building containing 68 rooms, including bedrooms, chapel, dining hall, kitchen, and storage rooms was built on the original site and opened in 1902. The first veteran to enter the Home was W. J. Aldred who became an inmate on June 3, 1901. The last veteran to share the home was Henry Taylor Dowling whose entry was recorded on April 17, 1941. The Home housed widows of Confederate veterans beginning in the 1940s before closing in 1963. It was razed in 1965.

Extent

0.25 linear ft.

Language

English

Arrangement of the Papers

This collection is arranged alphabetically by last name.

Acquisition Information

Purchase, 1980 (1980.001)

Location of Originals

The original ledgers are owned by the Georgia Archives.

Existance and Location of Copies

Microfilm of the original registers is available within the library.

General Physical Description note

(1 half document case)

Processing Information

The collection was reprocessed in 2009.
Title
Confederate Soldier's Home of Georgia Register of Inmates, Undatedahc.MSS 7
Author
Inventory prepared by Helen Matthews
Date
June 2009
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040