Burns Club of Atlanta documents
Collection number: ahc.MSS433
Scope and Content
This collection is comprised of records pertaining to the organization and administration of the Burns Club of Atlanta and the Ladies' Burns Club of Atlanta. Records include legal documents, correspondence, membership lists, program information, and pamphlets. Topics include the construction of the Burns Cottage, the Annual Anniversary Dinner, club operations, and poetry written by club members.
- 1900-1985, undated
- Burns Club of Atlanta (Ga.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.
The Burns Club of Atlanta was organized in 1896 as a social and literary club commemorating Scottish poet Robert Burns. In 1907 it was chartered as a "special literary and memorial society." Qualifications for membership were "good citizenship and admiration and love for the great poet." The club was governed by elected officials such as chairman of the board, president, vice president, treasurer, and secretary. Each year the club organized the "Burns Supper" to celebrate the poet's birthday on January 25. In 1911 the Burns Club built a replica of the original Burns Cottage for their club house in Ormewood Park, Atlanta. Three years later the club became a member of the Burns Federation, an organization headquartered in Scotland. The Ladies' Burns Club was founded in 1937 with Mrs. W.F. Melton as the first chairman. It disolved in November, 1984, but the Burns Club is active as of February 2017.
5.6 linear ft. (two document cases and two oversize boxes)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, 1980, with subsequent additions
- American poetry
- Burns Club of Atlanta (Ga.)
- Burns, Robert
- Ladies' Burns Club (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Men -- Georgia -- Atlanta -- Societies and clubs
- Scottish literature -- Societies, etc.
- Scrapbooks -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Speeches, addresses, etc. -- Georgia
- Women -- Georgia -- Atlanta -- Societies and clubs
- Burns Club of Atlanta documents
- Leah Lefkowitz
- July 2012
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.