Rhodes Furniture Company records
Collection number: ahc.MSS430
Scope and Content
This collection is comprised of the business records for the Rhodes Furniture Company. Included in the collection are financial records, acquisition papers, correspondence, ledgers, and cash books. There are also pension plan and tax return records.
- 1900-1965, undated
- Rhodes Furniture Company (Atlanta, Ga.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.
A.G. Rhodes came to Atlanta, Georgia, shortly after the Civil War. About 1882 he began to sell moderately priced furniture. In 1889, Rhodes formed a partnership with J.J. Haverty and opened the Rhodes-Haverty Furniture Company. Rhodes and Haverty divided the company in 1909, each taking ten stores. Rhodes was joined in the business by his son, Joseph D. Rhodes, and his nephew, Rhodes L. Perdue. A.G. Rhodes died in 1928 and was continued by his descendants. In 1968, the Rhodes Furniture Company was sold to Unicapitol Corporation. Additional historical information about the Rhodes Furniture Company has not been determined.
75.79 linear ft. (thirteen record center boxes, two document cases, and thirty-eight oversize boxes)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Account books -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Business records -- Georgia
- Business records -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Capital stock -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Haverty Furniture Companies
- Haverty, James Joseph
- Perdue, Rhodes L.
- Retail trade -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Rhodes Furniture Company (Atlanta, Ga.) -- Records and correspondence
- Rhodes family
- Rhodes, A. G. (Amos Giles)
- Scrapbooks -- Georgia
- Rhodes Furniture Company records
- Melanie Stephan
- July 2012
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.