Atlanta Pioneer Women's Society collection
Collection number: ahc.MSS391
Scope and Content
This collection contains correspondence among the society's members, membership lists, biographies of some members, financial records, newspaper clippings, early recollections of Atlanta, and a scrapbook.
- 1909-1984, undated
- Atlanta Pioneer Women's Society (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.
Founded in 1909 by its first president, Mrs. Joseph H. Morgan, the Atlanta Pioneer Women's Society was an organization whose members were the first women to settle in Atlanta, Georgia before and during the Civil War. Charter members did not work outside the home, but were involved in charitable organizations and church groups. Its purpose was to continue old friendships and also preserve historical facts and memories of early Atlanta. In 1938 a stone monument in tribute to the organization was erected in Piedmont Park at the 14th Street entrance. The Society also referred to itself as the Atlanta Women's Pioneer Society.
2.085 linear ft. (five document cases)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Atlanta Women's Pioneer Society collection
- Melanie Stephan
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.