Girls High School collection
Collection number: ahc.MSS365
Scope and Content
This collection is primarily comprised of materials pertaining to Girls' High School student activities, commencements, and reunions. There is also a series of scrapbooks and issues of the school newspaper, "Girls' High Times."
- 1873-1947, undated
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.
Girls' High School was founded in 1872 as part of the Atlanta Public School System. Mr. Bernard Mallon was the first principal of the school. The original school site was the DeSaul Building at the corner of Whitehall and Hunter Street where classes were held in four rooms on the upper floor. It moved to the John Neal home in 1873. The first school society was the Browning Society, later renamed the Mallon Society in honor of the principal. In 1925 the school moved to Rosalia Street and in 1947 the school became co-educational and renamed Roosevelt High School. The school closed in 1985 and was sold to a development company. Additional administrative information about Girls' High School has not been determined.
16.23 linear ft. (1 half document case, 10 document cases, and 8 oversize boxes)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, 1980 with subsequent additions.
- Girls High School collection
- Melanie Stephan
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.