Skip to main content

J.P. Stevens Engraving Company records

 Collection
Identifier: ahc.MSS362

Scope and Content

This collection primarily contains engraving and stationery samples from J.P. Stevens Engraving Company. Included are invitations for noteworthy events in Atlanta's history, such as an invitation to the fiftieth anniversary convention for the Coca-Cola Fountain Sales Corporation and an invitation to the opening of the Ponce de Leon Park. In addition, this collection contains documentation from the personal finances of J.P. Stevens including estate settlement documents such vouchers and receipts; income tax returns and data; and correspondence with the Internal Revenue Service.

Dates

  • 1894-1975, undated

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.

Administrative/Biographical History

In 1874 Josiah Percival Stevens (1852-1929) established the J.P. Stevens Engraving Company in Atlanta, Georgia. Stevens moved to Atlanta in 1871, married Jeannie Alexander (1855-1950) in 1879, and worked as a jeweler, watchmaker, and engraver for the jeweler George Sharpe. He invented a steel die-embossing press in 1896, the first automatic press in 1898, and the first engraving machine for copper plates in 1904. By using these machines at the J.P. Stevens Engraving Company, he improved the printing process. The company became popular locally at its 43 Whitehall Street location. In 1973, the S.C. Toof Company purchased the J.P. Stevens Engraving Company from the Stevens family, and within the next five years transitioned to commercial engraving. In 1979, the company was sold to William T. Bradshaw and his son, Tom Bradshaw, who opened an additional storefront at 56 East Andrews Drive, in addition to the existing location at the company’s production facilities at 1824 Briarwood Industrial Court. The company was again sold in 1997 to Stuart F. Cooper Co. but later went out of business.

Extent

11.51 linear ft. (10 document cases and five oversize boxes)

Language

English

System of Arrangement

This collection is arranged alphabetically according to titles supplied by staff. Oversize material is listed last.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift, 1975, with subsequent additions.
Title
J.P. Stevens Engraving Company records
Author
Melanie Stephan
Date
December 2018
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040