Arnall T. Connell papers
Collection number: ahc.MSS1046
Scope and Content
This collection consists of papers related to Arnall T. Connell's tenure as a professor in the College of Architecture at the Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech) in Atlanta, Georgia. Student papers written by Connell's graduate students form the largest portion of the collection. The papers cover a large array of Atlanta-related subjects, including neighborhoods and their histories, historic preservation of buildings and homes, renovation and repurposing ideas for historic structures, and general Atlanta history. A small number of the papers focus on subjects outside of the Atlanta metropolitan area. Also included are materials pertaining to the Sweet Auburn neighborhood revitalization study carried out by Connell and his colleagues in the mid-1970s. This part of the collection includes correspondence, sample contracts for the participants, notes, maps, time lines, and copies of the final report. The remainder of the collection includes Connell's work on the Castleberry Hill neighborhood of Atlanta, the Gainesville, Georgia, Model Cities Program, and other historic preservation topics related to the city of Atlanta and the state of Georgia. A small number of publications from historic preservation efforts of cities around the United States are also in the collection.
- 1894-1994, undated
- Connell, Arnall T. (Arnall Turner) (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.
Arnall Turner "Pat" Connell earned a Bachelor of Science in Architecture in 1953 and a Master of City Planning degree in 1955 from the Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech) in Atlanta, Georgia. From 1957 to 1963, Connell was an Associate Professor of Urban Planning at Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio. While teaching at Ohio State, he also served as the Planner Architect at the Columbus Department of Slum Clearance and Rehabilitation (1957-1958) and the Principal Planner for the Columbus City Planning Commission (1958-1961). After brief stints teaching at Columbia University in New York City, New York, and the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, Virginia, Connell became an Associate Professor of Architecture at Georgia Tech. He became a full Professor of Architecture at Georgia Tech in 1973, teaching classes covering urban planning, urban history, historic preservation, and urban renewal.
15.8 linear ft. (23 document cases; 1 half document case; 1 oversize box; 1 oversize folder; 3 cassette tapes)
System of Arrangement
This collection is arranged alphabetically according to titles supplied by staff.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was processed in 2014.
- Ansley Park (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Apartment houses -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Apartments -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Architecture -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Atlanta Municipal Market (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Atlanta Union Mission (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Atlanta University Center (Ga.)
- Atlanta Water Works (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Auburn Avenue (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Baptist Tabernacle Church (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Bedford Pine (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Brunswick (Ga.)
- Buckhead (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Candler Park (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Castleberry Hill (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Druid Hills (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Dwellings -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- East Atlanta (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Fairlie-Poplar (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Fulton Bag and Cotton Mills
- Gainesville (Ga.)
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- Grant Park (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Historic buildings -- Conservation and restoration
- Historic districts -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Historic preservation -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Inman Park (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Johnsontown (Atlanta, Ga.)
- King, Martin Luther, Jr.
- Midtown (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Model Cities Program (Gainesville, Ga.)
- Oakland Cemetery (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Old Fourth Ward (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Parks -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Transportation -- Georgia
- Transportation -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Urban renewal -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Arnall T. Connell papers
- Josh Hogan
- October 2014
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.