Skip to main content

Atlanta Community Orchestra photographs

 Collection
Identifier: ahc.VIS250

Scope and Contents

This collection contains photographs of Atlanta Community Orchestra (ACO) performances, rehearsals, and orchestra members. Of special note are photographs of Atlanta Symphony Orchestra first chair clarinetist, Karl A. Bevins (1915-2011), performing with the ACO.

Dates

  • approximately 1957-1971, undated

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.

Biographical / Historical

The Atlanta Community Orchestra (ACO), later the Atlanta Community Symphony Orchestra, was founded in 1957 as a subsidiary of the Atlanta Music Club. The purpose of the orchestra is to train students and offer opportunities for local amateur musicians to practice and perform. The orchestra's first performance was on May 12, 1958, in the auditorium of the Atlanta Women's Club, with Harry Kruger (1929-2009) as conductor, a post he held until 1961.

Extent

138 image(s) (98 black and white photographic prints, 22 black and white negatives, 16 color negatives, and two color photographic prints)

Language

English

Arrangement

This collection is arranged alphabetically by titles supplied by staff.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift, 1979

Processing Information

This collection was processed in 2021.
Title
Atlanta Community Orchestra photographs
Author
Kate Daly
Date
June 2021
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040