Poppy Garden Club photographs of Tullie Smith House and Farm
Scope and Contents
This collection contains interior and exterior images of the Tullie Smith House and outbuildings (later Smith Family Farm) that include the farmhouse, grounds, barn, and enslaved people's cabin. A large number of images offer details of holiday decorations used to represent a 19th century Christmas on the farm. Many of the photographs were used for publicity and the club's booklet, Tullie Smith House published in 1986. Some of the images include unidentified museum docents in 19th century costume.
- approximately 1976-1980
- Poppy Garden Club (Atlanta, Ga.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
Biographical / Historical
The Poppy Garden Club of Atlanta, Georgia, was formed in the 1950s. The club is an ongiong supporter of the Tullie Smith House and Farm (later Smith Family Farm) at the Atlanta History Center. Club projects include fundraisers, holiday decorations, garden maintenance, docent volunteering, exhibits, programs, and media promotion. In addition the club donated two deer sculptures to the Atlanta History Center's Mary Howard Memorial Quarry Garden. In 1986 the club published the booklet, Tullie Smith House. The club is an active member of The Garden Club of Georgia, Inc. and is governed by elected officers.
134 image(s) (93 color negatives, 38 color slides, two color photographic prints, and one black and white negative)
This collection is arranged alphabetically by titles supplied by staff.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, 1978, with subsequent additions
This collection was processed in 2020.
- Architecture, Domestic -- Georgia -- History -- 19th century
- Christmas decorations -- Georgia -- Atlanta -- 19th century
- Farmhouses -- Georgia -- Atlanta -- 19th century
- Furnishings -- 19th century
- Looms -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Poppy Garden Club (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Spinning-wheel -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Table setting and decoration -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Tullie Smith House (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Poppy Garden Club photographs of Tullie Smith House and Farm
- Jennie Oldfield
- December 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description