Atlanta Symposium records
Scope and Contents
This collection includes records regarding the activities of the Atlanta Symposium. Documents include administrative records, minutes, and member presentations. Administrative records include the history of the organization, by-laws, correspondence, meeting notices, membership rosters. Of special note are secretary notebooks from 1907-1944. Minute records contain Symposium minutes throughout the organization's history. The bulk of the collection are member presentations and information on each member such as curriculum vitae, member data sheets, biographic and professional information.
- 1907-2019, undated
- Atlanta Symposium (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.
Biographical / Historical
Founded in December 1902, the Atlanta Symposium is a local men’s philosophical and social organization, whose motto is "plain living and high thinking." Membership is by invitation only. New members are elected by a secret ballot and unanimous vote. There are three officer positions: chairman, vice-chairman, and secretary. Meetings are held seven times a year, at which members present essays covering a broad range of subjects, including local and world history, science and technology, comparative religion, and philosophy.
4.17 linear ft. (10 document cases)
Records are organized into three series: I. Administrative records, II. Minutes, and III. Member presentations.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, 2006, with subsequent additions
Collection was reprocessed in 2020.
- American essays -- Georgia -- 20th century
- American essays -- Georgia -- 21st century
- Associations, institutions, etc. -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Bogle, James G., 1915-2010
- Brown, Robert, Dr.
- Brown, Tom Watson, 1933-2007
- Campbell, Colin (Newspaper columnist)
- DuBose, Beverly M., 1918-1986
- English, Thomas H., (Thomas Hopkins), 1895-1992
- Garrett, Franklin M. (Franklin Miller), 1906-2000
- Howell, Henry L., 1938-
- Kurtz, Wilbur G. (Wilbur George), 1882-1967
- Kurtz, Wilbur, 1912-1991
- Lectures and lecturing -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Mackay, Edward G., Dr.
- Mackay, James A. (James Armstrong), 1919-2004
- Men -- Georgia -- Atlanta -- Societies and clubs
- Menaboni, Athos, 1895-1990
- Moore, T. Carl, (Thomas Carl), 1914-2008
- Troutman, Robert B., 1890-1973
- Weltner, Charles Longstreet
- White, Goodrich C. (Goodrich Cook), 1889-
- Atlanta Symposium records
- Finding aid prepared by Serena McCracken
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.