Skip to main content

Atlanta Child's Home and Child Service Association Papers

 Collection
Identifier: ahc.MSS616

Scope and Contents of the Records

The bulk of this collection consists of business records, budgets, financial reports and other files documenting the history of the Atlanta Child’s Home in the 1950s and 1960s and the Children’s Center of Metropolitan Atlanta in the 1970s. The collection includes: budget reports, history files and merger reports. Of particular interest, throughout the annual reports and business records are county statistics regarding adoptions in the metropolitan Atlanta and Fulton County areas.

Dates

  • 1930-1975

Creator

Restrictions on Access

This collection is open for research.

Restrictions on Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.

Administrative/Biographical History

The Atlanta Child’s Home opened in 1907 when Mrs. Frank Robinson began taking orphaned and neglected children into her own home. The organization was officially incorporated in 1915. The orphanage operated on Angier Avenue until 1923 when the Hightower Estate, thirty four acres in west Atlanta, was purchased. Mrs. Robinson served as director of the orphanage until her death in 1945. At that time a board of trustees was elected to oversee the operation of the home

The Child Welfare Association, Inc. was organized in 1930 as an agency to generate cooperation between the many orphanages and child welfare organizations in Atlanta, Fulton and DeKalb Counties. The Association worked with groups such as: the Atlanta Child’s Home, the Carrie Steele Pitts Home for Negro Children, and the Florence Crittendon Home. In 1951 the agency reorganized and was renamed the Child Service Association, Inc. The agency expanded its services to include Cobb County in 1959, and Clayton and Gwinnett Counties in 1962.

In 1964, the Atlanta Child’s Home merged with the Child Service Association to become the Children’s Center of Metropolitan Atlanta, Inc. The merger was another attempt to expand the reach of the many agencies and improve services to needy children in the Metro-Atlanta area.

Extent

2.5 linear ft.

Language

English

Arrangement of the Papers

This collection folders are arranged in alphabetical order with titles created by archvies staff

Acquisition Information

Gift of Mr. Robert Biccum, 1984 (1984.281).

Physical Description

(6 document boxes)

Processing Information

Collection processed in 2009.

Creator

Title
Atlanta Child's Home and Child Service Association Papers, 1930-1978 ahc.MSS 616 ahc.MSS616
Author
Finding aid prepared by Inventory prepared by Mike Brubaker
Date
March 2010
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040