Skip to main content

Phillip “P.” Thornton Marye visual arts material

 Collection
Collection number: ahc.VIS349

Scope and Content

This collection contains images and architectural designs of Marye as well as the firms Marye, Alger, and Alger, and Marye, Alger, and Vinour. Included are photographs of the Fox Theatre, the Southern Bell Telephone Building, Terminal Station, and public, commercial, and residential buildings in Atlanta and other cities. Also included are photographs of the interior of the buildings. The architectural drawings consist of Marye's plans for St. Luke's Episcopal Church. Of special note are 1970 plans for additions by the firm to St. Luke's Episcopal Church.

Dates

  • 1905-1970, undated

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.

Administrative/Biographical History

Philip Thornton Marye (1872-1935) was an American architect who was born in Alexandria, Virginia. He studied at Randolph-Macon College in Ashland, Virginia, from 1888 to 1889, and at the University of Virginia at Charlottesville from 1889 to 1890. Marye served in Cuba during the Spanish-American War (1898) as a member of the Fourth Virginia Volunteers. He rose to the rank of major in World War I (1917-1918). Marye married Florence King Nisbet of Savannah, Georgia, in 1900. Early in his architectural career, Marye practiced in Newport, Virginia, after briefly training with architect Glenn Brown in Washington, D.C. In 1904, Marye moved to Atlanta and built the Terminal Station (1903-1905). After completing the Terminal Station, Marye designed St. Luke's Episcopal Church in Atlanta (1906) with the help of architect A. Ten Eyck Brown. In 1909, Marye built Highlands Methodist Church in Birmingham, Alabama. In 1910, he built the Walton Building in the Fairlie Poplar district of Atlanta.

Administrative/Biographical History

Marye designed his home (1913-1914) while he simultaneously designed the Gentry-McClinton House, now considered an Atlanta landmark. During the 1920s, the firm of Marye, Alger, and Alger designed Daniel C. O'Keefe Junior High School (1922-1923) and the Georgian revival Randolph-Lucas House (1924). In 1926, the firm added Oliver Vinour and changed the name of the firm to Marye, Alger, and Vinour. The firm won the commission to build the Yaarab Temple (later the Fox Theatre) which opened at the end of 1929. The firm also won a major commission to build the downtown Southern Bell Telephone Building (later the AT&T building). Marye also served as district officer of the Historic American Buildings Survey and as consultant to the American Institute of Architects Commission for the Preservation of Historic Buildings in America. He was a member of the vestry of St. Luke's Episcopal Church. Marye was the president of both the Lions Club and the Georgia Chapter of the American Institute of Architects, and he served as a member of the Druid Hills Golf Club, the Atlanta Athletic Club, and the Piedmont Driving Club. Marye received the highest honor afforded a Mason, the Thirty-Second degree of Masonry.

Extent

346 item(s) (133 sepia toned photographic prints, 125 black and white negatives, 47 black and white photographic prints, and 41 architectural drawings)

Language

English

System of Arrangement

This collection is arranged alphabetically according to titles supplied by staff.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift, 1974

General

VIS 349 was previously cataloged as MAR.

Description Control

This collection was reprocessed in 2019.
Title
Phillip “P.” Thornton Marye visual arts material
Author
Jessica Doss
Date
February 2019
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040