Harriet Elizabeth Brown scrapbook
Collection number: ahc.VIS317
Scope and Content
This collection contains images of Harriet Elizabeth Brown's family and friends horseback riding, swimming, playing tennis, and shooting rifles. Also included are photographs of a ship voyage to Panama.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
Harriet Elizabeth Brown (1869-1951) was born in Atlanta, Georgia, to Mark W. and Lavinia Penelope Hollinshead. She married Elijah Alexander Brown (1857-1926) on June 26, 1901, making her the daughter-in-law of Joseph E. Brown (1821-1894), the governor of Georgia during the Civil War. The couple had four children: Crawford F. Barnett, Elijah Alexander Brown, Jr.(approximately 1897-?), Joseph E. Brown (approximately 1909-?), and Marcus Johnson Brown (1904-1982). After graduating from Peabody College in Nashville, Tennessee, Brown became a teacher at Neal's Academy and LaGrange College for Women. She attended St. Mark Methodist Church in Atlanta, where she served as president of the Women's Society of Christian Services. Brown was a member of the Atlanta Historical Society, the National Society of Daughters of Founders and Patriots of America, the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
188 image(s) (188 black and white photographic prints)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
VIS 317 was previously catalogued as HEB.
This collection was processed in 2018.
- Atlanta (Ga.) -- Social life and customs
- Boats -- Georgia
- Brown, Elijah Alexander, Sr.
- Brown, Harriet Elizabeth Johnson, 1869-1951
- Brown, Harriet Elizabeth Johnson, 1869-1951 -- Travel
- Camps -- Georgia
- Clothing & dress -- 1900-1910
- Clothing and dress -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Clothing and dress -- History -- 19th century
- Court tennis
- Courtship -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Europe -- Description and travel
- Golf -- Georgia
- Golf -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Shooters of firearms -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- South America -- Description and travel
- Harriet Elizabeth Brown scrapbook
- Timothy Cole Hale
- September 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.