Skip to main content

Blanchard family photographs

 Collection
Collection number: ahc.VIS283

Scope and Content

This collection consists of portrait images of Blanchard family members, including Waid Hill Blanchard; Martha Lane Hill; Mary Anne Hill; Moses C. Blanchard; and Mary Blanchard.

Dates

  • approximately 1870

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.

Administrative/Biographical History

Mary H. Blanchard (1862-1877) and her brother, Will, were born in Atlanta, Georgia, to Martha Lane Hill and Moses C. Blanchard. Moses C. Blanchard, originally from Whitingham, Vermont, worked as a teacher in LaGrange, Georgia. In 1852, Moses Blanchard married Martha Lane Hill. In 1860, the Blanchard family lived in Atlanta where Moses practiced law. During the Civil War, he served in the Florida Infantry 2nd Battalion Company D and later became a member of Morgan’s Rangers. After the Civil War, Moses returned to Atlanta and became an insurance agent and builder. In the late 1870s, the family lived at 143 West Mitchell Street. From 1876-1877, Mary Blanchard attended Girls High School in Atlanta. She died in 1877 and was buried in Oakland Cemetery.

Extent

7 image(s) (seven black and white photographic prints)

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift, 1979

Related Archival Materials

Mary H. Blanchard Examination Booklet and Memorium, MSS 34f, Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center

General

VIS 283 was previously catologued as BLA.

Description Control

This collection was reprocessed in 2018.
Title
Blanchard family photographs
Status
In Process
Author
Felicia D. Render
Date
March 2018
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040