Skip to main content

Georgia Botanical Society photographs

 Collection
Identifier: ahc.VIS257

Scope and Content

This collection contains photographic prints that document the activities and membership of the society. Items provide details of field trips, plant identification and rescues, conservation projects, and meetings. The majority of the images are of identified sites in Georgia, but a few items are of other sites in Southeastern states. Native plants and trees are included as well as rivers, swamps, mountains, and rocky outcrops. Members such as Marie Mellinger, Norma Seiferle, Vivian Emerson, Alice Peacock, and Gene Cline are identified. Of special interest are two early images of the society members with first president Eugene S. Heath in Fernbank Forest.

Dates

  • approximately 1937-2000, undated

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.

Administrative/Biographical History

The Georgia Botanical Society was formed in 1926 by Eugene Schofield Heath (1880-1972) with the original mission to promote the study of botany; to promote a botanical garden for Georgia; to protect and preserve native flora of Georgia; to encourage the use of native Georgia species in landscaping; and to encourage youth to study and practice botany. The society was an invitation-only organization until 1970 when Marie Mellinger (1914-2006) became president and opened membership to all interested persons. The society is governed by elected officers such as president, vice president, and treasurer. One of the society's earliest projects was to help establish the Fulton County Botanical Garden which later closed. In the 1960s, the society also developed the Heritage Garden at the Georgia Govenor's Mansion. The garden closed in 1975 and the plants were moved to the Swan House Woods at the Atlanta Historical Society (later Atlanta History Center). The Georgia Botanical Society has been active in the conservation and preservation movement in Georgia and fought against the extension of the Blue Ridge Parkway and road construction over Brasstown Bald and Pine Log Mountain. In 1984, the society published the Atlas of the Vascular Flora of Georgia, compiled by Marie Mellinger, based on years of biological surveys completed by society members. The society also publishes an annual journal, Tipularia and offers frequent field trips and wild flower pilgrimages to study natural areas and complete plant inventories.

Extent

430 item(s) (335 color transparencies, 83 black and white photographic prints, and 12 color photographic prints)

Language

English

System of Arrangement

This collection is arranged chronologically.

Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements

Some items in this collection are located in cold storage (CS) as indicated by the descriptive inventory. Patrons must allow 24 hours after retrieval of item(s) before viewing material.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift, 1984, with subsequent additions

Related Archival Materials

Georgia Botanical Society records, MSS 979, Cherokee Garden Library, Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center

Description Control

This collection was processed in 2017 with subsequent additions.
Title
Georgia Botanical Society photographs
Author
Jennie Oldfield
Date
May 2017
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040