Percy H. Perkins, Jr. architectural drawings and photographs
Scope and Content
The collection consists of architectural drawings of projects designed by Perkins and images of himself and family members. A variety of projects are presented in the collection such as the construction of the administration building of the Fulton County Airport (1950-1951); Salvation Army School for officer training (1966); and Lake Shore Shopping Center in Gainesville, Georgia (1963). Of special interest is a black and white print of Perkins at his drawing board in his office.
- 1937-1975, undated
- Perkins, Percy H. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
Percy Harold Perkins, Jr. (1905-1998) was born in Metter, Georgia, to Percy Harold Perkins (1876-?) and Bertha Mae Warwick Perkins (1882-?). He married Mary Louise Martin (1911-1962) at Flemington Presbyterian Church in Flemington, Georgia, on November 5, 1933. She died in the 1962 Atlanta Art Association plane crash in Orly, France. In 1927, Perkins received a Bachelor of Science degree in architecture from Georgia School of Technology in Atlanta, Georgia. From 1927-1941, Perkins served as a colonel in the United States Air Reserve and as a task commander in World War II. He started his career as an architect in Atlanta in 1938, working largely on a variety of projects, including designing administration buildings, shopping centers, schools, and churches. In 1951, he opened his own private practice in Atlanta under the name of Percy H. Perkins Junior & Associates, which was located at 3110 Maple Drive, NE. Perkins was a member of many organizations such as American Institute of Architects; Gate City Guard; Kiwanis Club; and the Sandy Springs Civic Club.
1334 item(s) (883 architectural drawings, 298 color negatives, 59 black and white photographic prints, 50 black and white negatives, 43 color photographic prints, and one color slide)
System of Arrangement
This collection is arranged alphabetically according to titles supplied by staff.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was processed in 2017. Some control numbers were not used.
- Airports -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Architects -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Architects and housing developers -- Georgia.
- Architectural drawing -- Georgia
- Atlanta (Ga.) -- History
- Churches -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Elementary schools -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Fire stations -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Flower arrangement -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Flower arrangement in churches -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Funeral decorations -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Gate City Club (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Georgia School of Technology
- High schools -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Kiwanis Club of Atlanta
- Perkins, J. Lawson
- Perkins, Mary Louise, 1911-1962
- Roses -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Roses -- Varieties
- Percy H. Perkins, Jr. architectural drawings and photographs
- Felicia Render
- May 2017
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.