Skip to main content

Atlanta Music Club photographs and video

 Collection
Collection number: ahc.VIS245

Scope and Content

The collection consists of images of club members and performers, club member meetings, and concerts and events produced by the Atlanta Music Club. A variety of images of events are represented in the collection such as color and black and white images from the Atlanta Community Symphony Orchestra's 26th Annual Young Artists' Concerto Concert (2000); the club's Spring Promenade (1982); the All-Star Concert Series (1985) and a fashion show (1993). There are a small number of unidentified events, members, and performances. Of special interest are images from the Atlanta Music Club's 1964-1966 seasons, which include photographs of concert performances. Also of note is a video of the Atlanta Community Symphony Orchestra honoring military veterans with a musical tribute (2001).

Dates

  • 1950-2001, undated

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.

Administrative/Biographical History

The Atlanta Music Club, originally known as the Womens' Music Study Club and later the Atlanta Music Study Club, was organized in Atlanta, Georgia, on September 22, 1915, by a group of thirty-five women seeking to "form a club for the promotion of musical culture in Atlanta." The club was chartered and incorporated as the Atlanta Music Club on June 21, 1921, with 600 members.

Throughout its existence, the club has been governed by a board of directors and managed by a president and other officers. The club's first officers included Mrs. John Doig as president; Mrs. Elizabeth P. Oliver as vice-president; Mrs. Walter Bedard as secretary; and Mrs. Dean Ryman as treasurer. The club's activities are planned and executed by a number of committees including an executive board, a men's advisory committee, a finance committee, and various scholarship committees.

The first concert series presented by the club opened on November 2, 1916, with Russian pianist Leo Ormstein performing. Each year the club produces a variety of concert series for members and for the general public including the Civic Concert Series, the All Star Concert Series, the Morning Musicale, and other special concert events. A number of subsidiary organizations were created or sponsored by the club including the Junior Music Club (1917), the Teenage Guild (1917), the Choral Guild of Atlanta (1939), the Atlanta Youth Orchestra (1944), the Atlanta Community Symphony Orchestra (1958), and the Atlanta Music Club Guild (1965).

In the 2011-2012 season, the Atlanta Music Club awarded eight scholarships, presented four Young Performers Concerts, and presented seven Musicale programs. The club continues to provide concert and scholarship opportunities for performers, advocates for music education in both public and private schools, and continues to offer support to the Atlanta Community Symphony Orchestra.

Extent

1417 image(s) (1082 black and white and color photographic prints; 325 black and white and color negatives; nine color slides; and one video tape)

System of Arrangement

This collection is arranged alphabetically according to titles supplied by staff.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift, 1977, with subsequent additions

Related Archival Materials

Atlanta Music Club records, MSS 404, Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center

Description Control

This collection was processed in 2017.
Title
Atlanta Music Club photographs and video
Author
Felicia Render and Sue VerHoef
Date
April 2017
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040