Skip to main content

Atlanta City Brewing Company Minute Book

 Collection
Identifier: ahc.MSS11f

Scope and Contents of the Records

This collection consists of a bound ledger containing the minutes of the meetings of the Atlanta City Brewing Company’s Board of Directors and Shareholders, and also periodic company financial statements during its first years of operation, 1876 – 1905. The minutes are written in long hand by the company secretary. The minutes of the board meetings concern election of officers, dividend declarations and operating proposals and decisions. The shareholder meetings concern review of the secretary/treasurer’s reports and election of board members. The periodic financial statements detail assets, liabilities and the net worth of the Company.

Dates

  • 1876 – 1905

Creator

Restrictions on Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.

Administrative/Biographical History

In 1876, the Atlanta City Brewing Company was incorporated under the leadership of Egidius Fechter, Joseph Feishel and Emil Langgesser. It was located at the corner of Courtland (then Collins) and Harris Streets. The original wooden structure and equipment burned in 1880, and it was rebuilt on the same location of brick and stone over the original cellars. In 1892, the company began to market ice, as well, changing its name to the Atlantic Brewing and Ice Company. During Prohibition, the company changed its name once again to Atlanta Ice and Bottling Company and survived by selling ice and cereal beverages. With the repeal of the 18th Amendment, they resumed the brewing and selling of ales and beer. In 1935, the company was bought by the Chattanoogabased Southeastern Brewing Company, which changed the local company’s name to the Atlantic Ice and Coal Company. The company abandoned its brewing activity in the 1950’s. The brewery was demolished in 1955, and the cellars destroyed in 1973 when the current high-rise Atlanta Hilton was built.

Extent

1 item(s)

Language

English

Acquisition Information

Gift of Abrams Books, Inc., 1968 (1968.128)

Processing Information

Collection reprocessed in 2007
Title
Atlanta City Brewing Company Minute Book, 1876-1905ahc.MSS 11F
Author
Inventory prepared by Paul Crater
Date
June 2009
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040