Skip to main content

Elijah H. Mixon family photographs

 Collection
Collection number: ahc.VIS23

Scope and Content

This collection documents two generations of the Elijah H. Mixon family of Oxford, Georgia. The collection provides insight into the artisan class of 19th century Georgia.

Dates

  • approximately 1850-1870

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.

Administrative/Biographical History

Elijah H. Mixon (1795-1873) was the son of Zedekiah and Mary Mixon. He was born in Beaufort County, North Carolina, and moved near Covington, Newton County, Georgia, in the early 1820's. He married Charlotte Aughtry (1797-1877) of Hancock County, Georgia, on 4 September 1823 and the couple had eight children: Asbury Coke (1824-1919); Mary G. (1826-1863); Jesse Fletcher (1828-1930); James Clayton; Elijah Dickerson; Frances M.; Charlotte Sophia; and Nelson Nolle (1839-1862). Asbury Coke Mixon married Sara Ann Raiford Aiken on 5 December 1847. Jesse Fletcher Mixon married Georgia E. Smith on 17 December 1857. Nelson Nolle Mixon was a sergeant in Company A, Cobb's Legion, when killed at the Battle of Antietam, Maryland, in 1862.

In 1837 the family moved to Oxford, Georgia, where the Methodist Church had established Emory College (1836). Elijah, a carpenter, carriage maker, and cabinetmaker by trade, was employed constructing some of the earliest buildings on campus. His sons graduated from Emory College and two, Asbury Coke and Jesse Fletcher, became ministers in the Methodist Church.

Extent

9 image(s) (5 ambrotypes, 3 tintypes, 1 daguerreotype)

Language

English

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift, 1995
Title
Elijah Mixon family photographs
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040