Earle Sumner Draper landscape architectural drawings
Scope and Content
This collection contains a landscape drawing of the Blue Ridge Forest Resort, a 17,000 acre resort in the Blue Ridge Mountains near Tryon, North Carolina, and a perennial garden planting plan for the Cason J. Callaway Estate in LaGrange, Georgia.
- Draper, E. S. (Earle Sumner) (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
Earle Sumner Draper (1893-1994), landscape architect and town planner, was born in Falmouth, Massachusetts, and graduated from Massachusetts Agricultural College (now University of Massachusetts) in 1915. Draper first worked with John Nolen, city planner of Cambridge, Massachusetts, on the development of the residential neighborhood, Myers Park, North Carolina, as well as the new town of Kingsport, Tennessee. In 1917 Draper opened his own landscape architecture firm in Charlotte, North Carolina and later opened a branch office in Atlanta, Georgia in 1922. Draper designed the company village of Chicopee, south of Gainesville, Georgia, built by Johnson and Johnson, Inc. in 1927. Along with small towns and subdivisons, Draper designed many private estates, resorts, parks, and universities. He was elected a Fellow of American Society of Landscape Architects in 1927. In 1933 Draper left private practice to join the Tennessee Valley Authority as Planning Director where he helped design over 100 communities including the town of Norris, Tennessee. In 1940 he was appointed Assistant Administrator (and later Deputy Administrator) of the Federal Housing Authority. Draper returned to private practice before retiring in 1965 to live in Vero Beach, Florida, until his death in 1994.
2 set(s) of landscape drawing(s)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, 2012, with a subsequent additon
This collection was processed in 2013, with a subsequent addition.
- Callaway, Cason J. (Cason Jewell)
- City planning -- Southern States
- Draper, E. S. (Earle Sumner)
- Gardens -- Design
- Gardens -- Georgia -- LaGrange
- Land use -- North Carolina
- Land use -- Planning
- Landscape architects -- North Carolina
- Landscape architecture -- Designs and plans
- Landscape architecture -- Georgia -- LaGrange
- Landscape architecture -- North Carolina
- Mountain resorts -- North Carolina
- Earle Sumner Draper landscape architectural drawings
- Jennie Oldfield
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.