John W. Grant visual arts collection
Scope and Content
This collection contains cabinet cards collected by John W. Grant. Seventeen of the mounted photographs are of classmates of Grant's from the University of Georgia (1885-1888). These images include Eugene M. Mitchell (1885), Charles F. Rice (1886), and Lucian L. Knight (1886). Another image from Grant's college years shows group of debate students posed after a debate in 1884. Other images include a boy with a chihuahua and a view of a carriage with four horses and footmen outside a building in the commune of Saint-Cloud in France. There is also an image of four men and a woman believed to be relatives of Grant as well as an unmounted portrait of an unidentified man.
- 1884-1888, undated
- George Prince Studios (Washington, D. C.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U. S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta Research Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
John William Grant (1867-1938) was born in West Point, Georgia, to William D. and Sarah Frances (Reid) Grant. His father, William D., and grandfather, John T. Grant (1813-1887), founded the Fannin, Grant and Company Railroad. John W. Grant graduated from the University of Georgia in Athens in 1886, and earned a masters degree in accounting from the Eastman Business College in Poughkeepsie, New York. He married Annie Martin Inman (b. 1873), daughter of Hugh T. Inman, on April 11, 1893, and they had five children: Margaret VanDyke (Grant) Wilmer (1894-1974); William D. (1895-1931); Hugh Inman (1896-1906); John W., Jr. (1901-1972); and Annie Inman (1903-1993). In 1888, John W. Grant went to work for his father in the Grant Construction Company where he supervised construction of the Grant Office Building at 22 Marietta Street. Grant was also the director of the Third National Bank and president of the Georgia Savings Bank. He was a special commissioner of the Southern Railway Trust Company of Georgia and also a director of the Southern Mutual Insurance Company. He owned the Kimball House Company, a wedding gift from his father-in-law. He was a member of the Atlanta City Council (1907-1909), where he served as the chairman of its finance committee, and was also alderman from the Sixth Ward (1909-1911). Grant was a member of the board of education and a trustee of the Georgia Institute of Technology, donating land for the football field, which was named in honor of his son, Hugh Inman Grant. He was a member of numerous social clubs including the Piedmont Driving Club and the Druid Hills Golf Club. He was active in the Society of the Cincinnati; Society of Colonial Wars; Sons of the American Revolution; the Atlanta Art Association; and the Chi Phi fraternity.
24 image(s) (twenty-three cabinet cards and one photograph)
System of Arrangement
This collection is arranged alphabetically according to titles supplied by staff.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Athens (Ga.)
- Barnes, John A.
- Barrett, Dutch, Jr. (W. H.)
- Burdett, J. R.
- Carswell, W. D.
- Carter, J. W.
- Children -- 1880-1890
- Clothing & dress -- 1880-1890
- Clothing and dress -- History -- 19th century
- Evans, B. B.
- Fraternal organizations -- Georgia -- Athens
- Gilbert, James J.
- Grant, John William, 1867-1938
- Hutchins, Nathan L., Jr.
- Johnson, R. H., Dr.
- Knight, Lucian Lamar
- Lane, Augustus H.
- McDaniel, Sanders
- McEllmurray, J. S.
- Meader, R. D.
- Mitchell, Eugene Muse
- Portrait photography
- Rice, Charles F.
- Saint Cloud (France)
- Slaton, John M.
- Stanton, Edwin O.
- Suresnes (France)
- Ville-d'Avray (France)
- Wooten, William E.
- John W. Grant visual arts collection
- Laura Starratt
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Prepared According To Dacs
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.