William C. Pauley landscape architecture drawings
Collection number: ahc.VIS184
Scope and Content
This collection contains the landscape architecture drawings and topographical surveys by William C. Pauley from 1914 to 1973. Projects are mainly from the southeast, but a few early projects are from Massachusetts. Much of the work consists of residential plans, but some are of schools, colleges, parks, cemeteries, and commercial projects. Notable Georgia projects include the Bankshaven estate of Newnan, Georgia, Joel Hurt Memorial Park of Atlanta, and the Robert W. Woodruff residence in the Druid Hills neighborhood in Atlanta. Projects of special interest include the segregated Pittman Park in Atlanta and the Orlando Fountain at Lake Eola, Orlando, Florida.
- 1914-1973, undated
- Pauley, William C. (William Crooks) (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
William Crooks Pauley (1893-1985) was born in Lafayette, Indiana, and earned a master's degree in Landscape Architecture from Massachusetts State College in 1918. He served in the United States Army from 1918 to 1919 before moving to Atlanta, Georgia in 1919. He married Frances Emma Freeborn in 1930. He worked for E. Burton Cooke, Landscape Architect, C.A. Dahl Company, and Lakewood Nurseries of Atlanta, before opening his own practice in 1923 in downtown Atlanta. Pauley was the first landscape architect to hold a permanent practice in Atlanta and received the first license to practice landscape architecture in Georgia. Starting largely with residential projects, his work expanded to include schools, colleges, cemeteries, and parks, along with commercial projects. Pauley held many professional memberships including the Georgia Engineering Society, Atlanta Beautiful Commission, the State Examining Board of Landscape Architects, and was a member and fellow of the American Society of Landscape Architects.
213 set(s) of landscape drawing(s)
System of Arrangement
This collection is arranged alphabetically by client name.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gifts, 1967, 1986, with subsequent additions.
This collection was processed in 2012, with subsequent additions.
- American Society of Landscape Architects. Georgia Chapter
- Bankshaven Estate (Newnan, Ga.)
- City planning -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Hurt Park (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Land use -- Planning
- Landscape architects -- Georgia
- Landscape architecture -- Georgia
- Landscape architecture -- Southern States
- Parks -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Pauley, William C. (William Crooks)
- Schools -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Segregation -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Urban parks -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- William C. Pauley landscape architecture drawings
- J. Oldfield
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Prepared According To Dacs
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.