T. Cobb Benning Photographs
Collection number: ahc.VIS153
Scope and Contents of the Records
The images in this collection depict the construction of the English American building (also known as the Flatiron Building) at the intersection of Peachtree Street and Broad Street in downtown Atlanta, Georgia.
- 1897- 1898
- Benning, Thomas Cobb (Person)
Restrictions on Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
No biographical information is available on T. Cobb Benning.
Arrangement of the Papers
This collection is alphabetical according to titles supplied by staff.
These photographs were donated by T. Cobb Benning to the Hamilton Bank and Trust Company after the company acquired the English-American building in 1974. The President of Hamilton Bank and Trust Company, H. W. “Bo” Whitman, Jr., then presented and donated the collection of photographs to the Atlanta Historical Society in June of 1975.
Gift of Homer W. Whitman, Jr., 1975 (1975.125).
General Physical Description note
8 sepia toned prints
Collection processed in 2007.
- Broad Street (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Cityscapes -- 1890-1900
- Cobblestone streets -- Georgia -- Atlanta -- 1890-1900
- Construction -- Georgia -- Atlanta -- 1890-1900
- English-American Building (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Flatiron Building (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Horse-drawn vehicles -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Laborers -- Georgia -- Atlanta -- 1890-1900
- Office buildings -- Georgia -- Atlanta -- 1890-1900
- Peachtree Street (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Skyscrapers -- Georgia -- Atlanta -- 1890-1900
- T. Cobb Benning Photographs, 1897- 1898ahc.VIS 153
- Inventory prepared by Paul Crater
- August 2009
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note