Margaret Mitchell House Archives
Collection number: ahc.MSS978
Scope and Content
The Margaret Mitchell House Archives contains, correspondence, publications, and manuscript material pertaining to Margaret Mitchell, her family, and her publisher, Harold S. Latham; the publication of Gone With the Wind and the movie premiere in Atlanta, Georgia.
- 1848-2002, undated
- Margaret Mitchell House and Museum, Inc. (Organization)
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
The Margaret Mitchell House, Inc. (MMH) was founded in 1985 as a non-profit organization to save and preserve the house where Margaret Mitchell lived and wrote the book, Gone With the Wind. The house was built by Cornelius J. Sheehan as a two-story, single-family home in 1899 but was later converted into a ten-unit apartment building. From 1925 to 1932 Margaret Mitchell lived in apartment #1 where she wrote Gone With the Wind. After years of neglect, the house was declared a city landmark in 1989 and fund raising began in an effort to preserve the structure. The house was opened to the public as a historic site and museum in May 1997.
20 linear ft. (7 document cases, and 8 oversize boxes)
System of Arrangement
The collection is arranged into six series: I. Margaret Mitchell Papers; II. Harold S. Latham Collection; III. Printed Material; IV. Miscellaneous; V. Gone With the Wind ephemera; and VI. Scrapbooks.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Margaret Mitchell House and Museum, 2004 (2004.231)
Collection processed in 2007.
- Atlanta (Ga.)
- Atlanta (Ga.) -- History
- Authors, American -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Edee, Allen Barnett
- Historic buildings -- Georgia
- Historic districts -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Latham, Harold
- Marsh, John R. (John Robert)
- Mitchell family
- Mitchell, Eugene Muse
- Mitchell, Margaret, 1900-1949
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Fiction
- Margaret Mitchell House Archives
- Melanie Stephan
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.