Emmet Bondurant papers of the Atlanta Charter Commission
Scope and Content
This collection includes legal records, meeting minutes, correspondence, news articles, organizational charts, draft charters, district maps, consultants' proposals, research reports, and a resolution of commendation given to Emmet Bondurant. Committee minutes and correspondence document the commission's work in creating the new charter throughout its various stages of development. The collection also documents feedback the commission received from city planners and from the public through consultant reports and newspaper articles.
- 1925-1973, undated
- Majority of material found within 1969 - 1973
- Atlanta (Ga.). Atlanta Charter Commission (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.
Emmet J. Bondurant was born in Athens, Georgia on March 16, 1937. He graduated from the University of Georgia in 1960, earning his Bachelor of Laws degree. He received his Master of Laws from Harvard University in 1962. He worked as an attorney for the Atlanta firm Kilpatrick, Cody, Rogers, McClatchey and Regenstein, and was active in a number of civic and legal organizations. In 1971, he was appointed Chairman of the Atlanta Charter Commission.
The Atlanta Charter Commission was established by the Georgia General Assembly in order to revise the original city charter from 1874. The Commission was organized into committees, including Education, Governmental Finances, Governmental Structure and Governmental Services. The members met and drafted various elements of the new charter until final passage by the Georgia General Assembly in 1973.
5.004 linear ft. (12 document cases)
System of Arrangement
This collection is arranged alphabetically according to titles supplied by staff.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was processed in 2019.
- Atlanta (Ga.) -- Charters
- Atlanta (Ga.) -- Politics and government
- Atlanta (Ga.). Atlanta Charter Commission
- Atlanta Chamber of Commerce
- Atlanta Urban League
- Business and politics -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Coverdell, Paul Douglas, 1939-2000
- Finance, Public -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Hamilton, Grace Towns, 1907-1992
- Local taxation -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Marcus, Sidney J.
- Massell, Sam
- Zoning -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Emmet Bondurant papers of the Atlanta Charter Commission
- Jennifer Blomqvist
- June 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.