Grant Park Woman's Club scrapbooks
Scope and Content
The Grant Park Woman's Club scrapbooks include nine scrapbooks, documenting the club's activities from 1931 through 1949. The collection lacks scrapbooks for the years 1933 through 1937 and 1945-1946. The scrapbooks, some of which are in poor condition, contain yearbooks, photographs, newspaper clippings, correspondence, and printed material. The printed material primarily documents the Georgia Federation of Women's Clubs and the General Federation of Women's Clubs, as well as organizations and charities that the club supported. The best documented of the club's philanthropic activities is the Tallulah Falls School. Two of the scrapbooks are devoted entirely to the Garden Division of the Grant Park Woman's Club (1938-1939, 1940-1941), while another contains newspaper clippings concerning a conference of the General Federation of Women's Clubs in Miami, Florida, in 1939. While these scrapbooks provide an excellent overview of the club and its activities, they lack specific information on membership and individual activities.
- Grant Park Woman's Club (Atlanta, Ga.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.
The Grant Park Woman's Club was organized in 1930 and incorporated in 1936. According to the club's constitution, its purpose was to unite the influence and service of women in promoting educational, civic, social, moral, and cultural advancement of the community. Its motto was "Wisdom, Justice, and Moderation." Any woman interested in the purpose for which the club was organized was eligible for membership. The club met monthly on the third Friday, with most meetings having a program. In 1937, the club purchased a clubhouse, located at 602 Park Avenue. The club's active garden division participated in flower shows; other divisions included citizenship, public welfare, student aid, building and grounds, and safety. The Grant Park Woman's Club was affiliated with the Georgia Federation of Women's Clubs, and thus supported Tallulah Falls School in Tallulah Falls, Georgia, Student Aid Foundation, and other organizations. Club members were active in both the Georgia Federation of Women's Clubs and the General Federation of Women's Clubs.
2.5 linear ft. (9 scrapbooks)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was reprocessed in 2013.
- Grant Park Woman's Club scrapbooks
- Josh Hogan
- April 2013
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.