Southeastern Fair Association photographs
Collection number: ahc.VIS358
Scope and Content
The collection contains images of individuals associated with the 1915 Southeastern Fair. Include are photographs of Ivan E. Allen Sr., who served as vice president; Brooks Morgan, the executive councilman; and Mayor James G. Woodward, who served as executive councilman.
- approximately 1915, undated
- Southeastern Fair Association (Atlanta, Ga.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
The Southeastern Fair Association, which later became the Atlanta Fair and Exposition Center, Inc., was chartered on January 13, 1915, in Atlanta, Georgia. The Atlanta Chamber of Commerce sponsored the event as an expansion of the annual Boy's Corn Club show, later called the Georgia 4-H Club, into a large-scale agricultural exposition. They held the event at Lakewood Park, which opened in 1875 as the City of Atlanta's main water source and was redeveloped as a resort area in 1893. The first Southeastern Fair in 1915 was a harvest festival and cattle show, but from 1916 onward the event also included a horse racing track, suffragette demonstrations, a roller coaster, and a large agricultural and farming exhibit. Notable members of the Southeastern Fair Association include Mayor William B. Hartsfield (1890-1971), who was its president from 1962 until his death; and Ivan Allen Sr. (1876-1968) who served as the chairman of the board from 1915 to 1948 and president in 1916. The Southeastern Fair Association was dissolved in 1976.
13 photographic print(s) (13 black and white photographic copy prints)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
VIS 358 was previously catalogued as SEF.
This collection was reprocessed in 2019.
- Agriculture -- Georgia
- Agriculture -- Societies, etc.
- Allen, Ivan, 1877-1968
- Associations, institutions, etc. -- Georgia
- Atlanta (Ga.) -- Economic conditions
- Atlanta (Ga.) -- Politics and government -- 20th century
- Atlanta Chamber of Commerce
- Brooks, Morgan
- Cooper, Walter G.
- Davis, Henry W.
- Hastings, Harry George
- Howell, Albert
- Portrait photography
- Portraits, American -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Robinson, Henry H.
- Southeastern Fair Association (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Turman, Samuel Boykin, 1866-1922
- Woodward, James G.
- Southeastern Fair Association photographs
- Francis Noon
- July 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.