Atlanta Union Mission minutes
Scope and Content
This collection contains minutes of the Atlanta Union Mission Executive and Board committees led by Director Dr. William Huckand and President James Jackson. The minutes document decisions regarding community outreach and fundraising events; upkeep of the properties; changes to and the salaries of members of the board; financial changes; and operational resources.
- Atlanta Union Mission (Atlanta, Ga.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.
The Atlanta Union Mission was established in 1938 at 320 Crew Street SW as a soup kitchen and Christian ministry for homeless men in Atlanta, Georgia. It moved to a larger space at 54 Ellis Street in 1956. A year later, the organization became a member of the Southeastern District of the International Union of Gospel Missions. During subsequent decades the Atlanta Union Mission provided additional services for the growing needs of the homeless in Atlanta; in 1967 the mission purchased farmland to cultivate a program for men struggling with addiction; in 1969 it became the first establishment in the United States to offer services to homeless women; and in 1988 Village Atlanta opened for homeless women with children. The Atlanta Union Mission was governed by several types of committees between 1942-1969, the most prominent being the Executive Committee and the Board.
0.417 linear ft. (one document case)
System of Arrangement
This collection is arranged chronologically.
This collection was processed in 2018.
- Associations, institutions, etc. -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Atlanta Union Mission (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Homeless persons -- Services for -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Huck, William
- International Union of Gospel Missions -- Correspondence
- Jackson, James
- Missions -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Nonprofit organizations -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Soup kitchens -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Atlanta Union Mission minutes
- Kristina Ford
- July 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.