Skip to main content

Stevens & Wilkinson, Architects, Engineers documents

 Collection
Collection number: ahc.MSS885f

Scope and Content

This collection contains corporate records from the architectural firm Stevens & Wilkinson. Materials include work orders, survey results, a terrain map, and articles written about the firm. Work orders include the Georgia Baptist Hospital, Rich's Store for Men, and the Georgia Center for Continuing Education.

Dates

  • 1946-1992, undated

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.

Administrative/Biographical History

The Atlanta based architectural firm Burge and Stevens was founded by Flippen D. Burge (1894-1946) and Preston S. Stevens (1896-1989) in 1919. Both men received their architectural degrees from the Georgia School of Technology. The Georgia Baptist Hospital, commissioned in 1919, was their first major project. Following Burge's death in 1946, James R. Wilkinson (1907-1981) became a partner and the name of the firm changed to Stevens & Wilkinson. The firm is known for their commercial and institutional architecture, notably the development of the Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.

Extent

6 folder(s)

Language

English

System of Arrangement

This collection is arranged alphabetically according to titles supplied by staff.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift, 1992

Related Archival Materials

Visual materials have been separated from the collection. Please contact an archivist for access to these materials.

Description Control

This collection was processed in 2019.
Title
Stevens & Wilkinson, Architects, Engineers documents
Author
Allison Maier
Date
May 2019
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040